Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AutumnLvs_WI, Sep 18, 2019.

1. AutumnLvs_WI

AutumnLvs_WI In the Brooder

Sep 18, 2019
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

My daughter and I have wanted to get chickens for the last couple of years. We now live on a smallish farm so I went and bought our first 4 chicks on 9/7 from Farm & Fleet.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Four

(3) What breeds do you have?

Two buff orpingtons (daughter's) & two black laced silver Wyandottes (mine).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Knowing where my food comes from, in this case eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Knitting, crocheting, sewing, photography, reading, gardening, horseback riding (English, western, & side-saddle)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I sew, knit, and crochet 19th century clothing and accessories. We currently have 3 cats and one dog that live with us. The horses are boarded until we have new fencing. There are five of them, four Morgans and one grade quarter horse. At some point my daughter and I would like to add one or two beef cattle.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I ran across BUC several years ago when my daughter and I were just starting to research chickens.

2. MissMarple

MissMarple Songster

Aug 3, 2019
    Arkansas
    :jumpy:wee:welcome:wee:jumpy

Welcome to the flock!!! Glad to have you here!! Tell me more about these crocheted 19th century items!!! I crochet myself but nothing so cool!!

3. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Glad to have you join us. You ride sidesaddle, I'm impressed! Do you wear those 19th century costumes when you do? Pictures of it all, especially the chickens. Please.

4. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Crossing the Road

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello and welcome to Backyard Chickens! So glad you decided to join the flock!:woot

5. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Crowing

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    Hi! :frow :welcome

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Nice to have you here! Congrats on your new flock :thumbsup

7. feathermaid

feathermaid Egg Obsessed

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    knitting-hens.jpg

hithere.gif Congratulations on finally starting your new little flock and best wishes with your farming ventures!

8. Quackter

Quackter Songster

May 15, 2019
    Welcome, Farm and Fleet, man, I haven't heard that forever. You could walk in and say "I need a love-joy coupling" and they wouldn't look at you like you were pranking them. Glad to see there's some up and running, and glad to see you join us.

9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with you and your daughter's flock!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When I used to hybridize Streptocarpus plants, I ended up striking up a friendship with a very nice gentleman in Australia. It was next to impossible to send plants down under, so we both just exchanged seeds.

During all the back & forth of emailing plant info, he mentioned he was a American Civil War recreater (spelling wrong) as were many others. They had costumes created and put on performances in Australia. Aussies and Americans have strong bonds aside from plants and chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: