Hi Everyone!

BirdEggs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 10, 2011
Central Mass
I am new around here... Well, I have been reading the forum to find answers to my questions since I got my chicks in April, but now I have decided to join!

I currently own 4 Golden Comets. I got them as day old chicks at Tractor Supply Company in April, they just started laying on August 16th, and now I have been getting an average of 3 eggs per day from them. I am so excited to be getting eggs!

I grew up in the city. My mother is a teacher, so she brought home the classroom incubator when I was about 5 years old. We hatched a dozen bantam chicks, which we later gave to a friend who lived on a farm, since it was illegal to own chickens where we lived. I loved those banties, and would like to get more someday. I live in a small town, and my brother lives in another small town bordering mine. He was the one who wanted to get chicks, and my boyfriend and I came along with him. When my boyfriend saw the chicks, he said "Yeah, we can get some too." So we set up or brooder in the basement. I only got 4 because I was sure the neighbors would complain about the noise. (I still think that they eventually will). My brother got 12 chicks of different breeds. He spent a lot of time handling them, and they were much more tame than mine. Unfortunately, during hurricane Irene, a raccoon attacked, and he lost every single bird. It was very sad.
I have added a latch to the door of my coop, so I hope that a raccoon can not open mine.

I am very happy with my GCs, but I did not know about different breeds of chickens, maybe someday I will be getting more.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom