Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BirdEggs, Sep 10, 2011.

1. BirdEggs

BirdEggs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Central Mass
    I am new around here... Well, I have been reading the forum to find answers to my questions since I got my chicks in April, but now I have decided to join!

I currently own 4 Golden Comets. I got them as day old chicks at Tractor Supply Company in April, they just started laying on August 16th, and now I have been getting an average of 3 eggs per day from them. I am so excited to be getting eggs!

I grew up in the city. My mother is a teacher, so she brought home the classroom incubator when I was about 5 years old. We hatched a dozen bantam chicks, which we later gave to a friend who lived on a farm, since it was illegal to own chickens where we lived. I loved those banties, and would like to get more someday. I live in a small town, and my brother lives in another small town bordering mine. He was the one who wanted to get chicks, and my boyfriend and I came along with him. When my boyfriend saw the chicks, he said "Yeah, we can get some too." So we set up or brooder in the basement. I only got 4 because I was sure the neighbors would complain about the noise. (I still think that they eventually will). My brother got 12 chicks of different breeds. He spent a lot of time handling them, and they were much more tame than mine. Unfortunately, during hurricane Irene, a raccoon attacked, and he lost every single bird. It was very sad.
    I have added a latch to the door of my coop, so I hope that a raccoon can not open mine.

I am very happy with my GCs, but I did not know about different breeds of chickens, maybe someday I will be getting more. [​IMG]

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hi, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG] Welcome aboard! [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    hello [​IMG]

7. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Good luck with your girls. Those Comets are great layers!

[​IMG]

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]

10. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I adore my Golden Comets... sweetest girls!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by