Hi everyone!

Lgreenwood

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Hi guys. My name is Leslie. I've incubated and hatched ducks in the past, but am new to chickens and very excited. I have a coop and a run, and a fenced in backyard. All I need is the babies! I have lots of questions, like do I want to have standard sized chickens or bantams? Do bantams lay smaller eggs (common sense says "duh!" But I don't know for sure. What breed is right for my family and our needs? Are chicks more friendly and pet-like if I hatch them, or is it ok to buy day-old babies soi know they've been sexed (I can't have a rooster where I live.)? I can't wait to get started!

Greetings from Kansas, Leslie, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! Good questions....but tough to answer. Yes, the bantam eggs are a little smaller. Not sure if you want bantams or standards...obviously, smaller chicken = smaller food bill, smaller mess...but also not as many varieties from which to choose. I think ordered in chicks can be made tame the same as chicks you hatch. And yes, less risk ordering in sexed chicks as the law of averages says your hatchlings will have 1/2 roosters. Good luck to you!

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

I have bantam cochins that lay nice sized eggs. I also ordered my cochins from a hatchery and got them at 2 days old. They are the friendliest little buggers ever. Just as friendly as the ones that I hatched.

Good luck picking the perfect breed. They are all so nice :)

Back
Top Bottom