Hi Everyone!

HeatherChaos

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
I have had all kinds of pets form the common to the exotic but I am on my first chicken. A friend of mine has Cochin's and I was given a runt for my birthday in April. He is a small sweet tempered calico colored rooster I named Henwin. During the day he comes with me to work at my Glass Blowing Studio where he runs around free. The customers think he's great. Then at night he returns home with me to his indoor pen. Spoiled little dude.
Due to his runt condition I still have him on chick feed but plan to change over to corn scratch soon. I give him treats in the form of veggies and fruit from my lunch at work and crickets when home. Dust baths are taken at home in my side yard with wood ash from my friends fire place. Having never had a chicken before please let me know if I am doing something wrong.
He has the most beautiful feathers and I hope in the future to use them in some art projects. Any tips out there for keeping his feathers in good healthy condition till his next molting?
Thank you everyone!

Greetings from Kansas, HeatherChaos, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! Sounds like you have a close bond with your chicken. Two considerations: chickens are very social creatures. You might consider getting it a playmate. The other is the feed - by this age he should be on an all-flock style of feed. Feeding him corn will only add fat and will not provide the necessary protein and nutrients. He sure is a great looking bird - good luck to you!!

To me the term runt means a sickly animal -if he is just the smallest that is not. In any group there will always be the Biggest and smallest. I would think in a bantam breed, all things being equal the smallest is more desirable - at least it is to me. He doesn't need any stigma attached to him - what a beautiful cockerel he is - love the mottling & his feathered feet.

Back
Top Bottom