Hi from Aberdeen, Maryland

JackieReed

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2018
I'm new to the site. I joined because I need help changing the rules in my little city to enable our residents to have chickens.

We have one city councilwoman who adamantly refuses to vote for it, even though her family members in other cities have chickens and one councilman who refuses to vote either way because he never wants to offend anyone. Sigh.

I have a half acre and an historic (1894) Victorian home. While I'm technically in the city, I have a nice lot in a residential section where we routinely see deer, foxes, rabbits, and the occasional raccoon.

I don't have chickens - yet! But, I'm working to bring my home back to the homestead that it once was and become as self-sufficient as possible.

:welcome

Best of luck in getting your rules changed :fl Have you polled others in your neighborhood to see how they feel about having a small backyard flock? Maybe there are other like-minded folks around you that could help with the push.

Thanks for joining us!

We have probably 125 members of Aberdeen Backyard Chickens on facebook. I'm working on the text of my presentation now for the city planning board. The lady who started the group (and has collected more than 400 petition signatures) has a lot of facts. We're going to go with me doing an informed presentation appealing to their love of all things historic and of self-sufficiency. She will back me up with her facts.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I think you are on the right track with the petition, the fact finding and backup. See if you can get as many folks who signed the petition to join you when you present your information to the council. Be as polite as you can possibly be!! That goes a LONG way towards changing attitudes.
You need to agree that anyone having chickens must abide by the rules set forth on the number of birds, cleanliness and odor control and not lowering property values with butt ugly coops and runs!
Good luck to you and keep us all posted on your results.

Back
Top Bottom