Hi from Aberdeen NC

TurnerEGGZ

Songster
7 Years
Apr 28, 2015
Aberdeen, North Carolina
Hello everyone! We just got started with this chicken thing! We've been wanting them for awhile and finally after waaaay to much reading about them, just went for it and got a few different breeds. We have Cochins, RIR, Black Astrolorpe, sex links, red productions, BO, and barred rock. We already have a few favs in the bunch and having fun with them. Our plan is to have our kiddos sell some eggs just around to some neighbors while enjoying some ourselves. We were generously given a dozen Cochin eggs to hatch too so we are all doing our part at watching the incubator and making sure the temp/humidity are staying where they need to. I really love that breed so I'm hoping it all goes well! Anyways that's TurnerEGGZ in a nutshell. Oh I almost forgot how I came up with this screen name! Since we want to sell eggs to our close neighbors I HAD to have a name to put on the future wagon to haul them in.... So Turner is our last name and EGGZ is a first name initial for each of our 4 children! Cool huh?!?! Ok well glad to be here :) have a nice weekend!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Have loved reading your intro, was lovely to read you did your research before taking the plunge. Raising chicks is a fantastic experience and I'm sure your children are enjoying it very much. Sounds like you have the same plans for your eggs as I do with mine. I send my son up and down the street with them for the neighbours. A wagon with your name on sounds a great idea.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your incubation, watching a new life emerge into the world is a truly amazing thing to watch and something I never get bored of seeing. I'm on day 13 with 25 eggs at the moment and can't wait for hatch time.

You too have a lovely weekend and I hope you enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. You have a wonderful mix of breeds with some really good layers in the mix. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle, and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Sex Links are laying machines and you should get loads of eggs from those girls. Are your Sex Links Black Sex Links or Red Sex Links? Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to Backyard chickens, I love your egg business ideas. I'm guessing you have a Zachary or Zoe to get the initial Z'

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family.

Haha yes we have our one an only princess Zoe
smile.png

Oh and we have 3 black sex links. ..... Om goodness I'm so addicted, I may be picking up a blue Cochin roo today
lol.png

Black Sex Links are my favorite hens (although they are hybrids and not a standard breed) as they are friendly and hardy egg laying machines. I've raised them for years and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. I've been especially impressed with the size of their eggs with double yolks not being uncommon, and with their persistence in laying in really cold weather (although that's not an issue where I currently live). You should get loads of eggs from those three girls. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom