Hi from Alaska

pikinini

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 2, 2014
Alaska
Just want to say Hi to everyone. I'm a newby here and with chickens. I have 15 six week old Black Australorps. I really like them they are super friendly. We live off grid, so I'm now actually busy looking up on this forum how I'm going to keep them warm. But anyway I just wanted to say hi to everyone

an old trick for a little extra warmth in the brooder is to fill a couple gallon jugs/metal buckets with lids very hot water and the radiant heat will give them some extra warmth. if you hang a crate or bucket of some sort above the jug it will make a warm spot they can enjoy if they choose.

you will of course have to change the water after it gets cold.

hope it helps a little.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join us. My family and I have visited Alaska a couple of times and really love it. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed; very hardy, calm and gentle, and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. I don't know where you are in Alaska, but Australorps are very cold hardy. I have raised them where the winter temperature hit 30 below zero and they did just fine. Just make sure that their coop is well insulated, draft free, and dry. Moisture is more critical than cold. Be sure that there are no leaks, that water doesn't seep in through the ceiling or that moisture doesn't sweat through the walls, and that no moisture blows in through coop door. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

You could also go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum to locate and post on the Alaskan thread. That way you will get news and advice specifically for your area.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Check out our sister site, SufficientSelf.com, for off-grid living tips and ideas.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You are going to love your Aussies! They are super friendly, docile, great layers and are very cold weather hardy. My girls follow me around like drooling puppies looking for attention and a nice soft lap to rest in. Just a great breed!

Definintely stop by the Sufficient Self web site that Sumi left you the link to. A great site to share lots of tips on being self sufficient.

Welcome to our flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You are going to love your Aussies! They are super friendly, docile, great layers and are very cold weather hardy. My girls follow me around like drooling puppies looking for attention and a nice soft lap to rest in. Just a great breed!

Definintely stop by the Sufficient Self web site that Sumi left you the link to. A great site to share lots of tips on being self sufficient.

Welcome to our flock!
Mine, too, @TwoCrows !! I love my Black Australorps to pieces!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom