Hi from Alaska

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pikinini, Aug 2, 2014.

1. pikinini

pikinini New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    Alaska
    Just want to say Hi to everyone. I'm a newby here and with chickens. I have 15 six week old Black Australorps. I really like them they are super friendly. We live off grid, so I'm now actually busy looking up on this forum how I'm going to keep them warm. But anyway I just wanted to say hi to everyone

2. 25eggfarm

25eggfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    Hi, keep em chickens warm.:goodpost::cd:jumpy

3. alldembirds

alldembirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    an old trick for a little extra warmth in the brooder is to fill a couple gallon jugs/metal buckets with lids very hot water and the radiant heat will give them some extra warmth. if you hang a crate or bucket of some sort above the jug it will make a warm spot they can enjoy if they choose.

you will of course have to change the water after it gets cold.

hope it helps a little.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join us. My family and I have visited Alaska a couple of times and really love it. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed; very hardy, calm and gentle, and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. I don't know where you are in Alaska, but Australorps are very cold hardy. I have raised them where the winter temperature hit 30 below zero and they did just fine. Just make sure that their coop is well insulated, draft free, and dry. Moisture is more critical than cold. Be sure that there are no leaks, that water doesn't seep in through the ceiling or that moisture doesn't sweat through the walls, and that no moisture blows in through coop door. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could also go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum to locate and post on the Alaskan thread. That way you will get news and advice specifically for your area.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Check out our sister site, SufficientSelf.com, for off-grid living tips and ideas.

7. ronmauldin

ronmauldin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Welcome from the Ocean State!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You are going to love your Aussies! They are super friendly, docile, great layers and are very cold weather hardy. My girls follow me around like drooling puppies looking for attention and a nice soft lap to rest in. Just a great breed!

Definintely stop by the Sufficient Self web site that Sumi left you the link to. A great site to share lots of tips on being self sufficient.

Welcome to our flock!

9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Mine, too, @TwoCrows !! I love my Black Australorps to pieces! [​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by