Hi from another Aussie!

krystalls

Hatching
Oct 2, 2016
QLD, Australia
Hi, I'm Krystal from Queensland, Australia. I started researching keeping chooks as pets back in April when I babysat my mum's chooks for 2 months while they went on holiday. After "chick sitting" my husband finally agreed to letting me get my own little flock!
celebrate.gif
Needless to say I have been researching for quite awhile before I finally got 4 chicks in August (along with 3 extra to add to mum's flock).

I lost 1 chick after a week and have a chick that is just getting over a second respiratory infection. The antibiotics have helped her a lot but now I'm planning a herb garden purely for their respiratory health in the hopes it keeps her healthy!

I bought sexed chicks as I can't have roosters where I live, hopefully the hatchery can confirm soon that they are female - I'll head over to the gender forum with photos as I suspect I have a couple of roos.

And because we all love chick photos I thought I had better share at least one photo of my babies...

Mum got 3 crossbred blacks (1 is beside me as per usual so its not in the photo) and I got a welsummer, barnevelder and plymouth rock.

Oh and we also have Trixie, our dog who absolutely adores the chicks and protects them from the magpies, we own 3 cats (and I foster cats/kittens - my dog loves them too), fish, snakes, rats and mice.

Thanks for having me and for the wealth of information I have learnt from this site!

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

Congrats on getting your own flock. Sorry about your loss and best of luck with the remaining pullets.

Hi Krystal and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Congrats on your new flock - a cursory glance suggests to me that your barred bird is a male, but you will get confirmation on the breed / gender forum.

Best wishes
CT

Thanks sunflour, it was tough losing that one even after reading so much about getting extra chicks in case of roos and because chicks are fragile. It was the only one I had named too - hence why none of them are getting names until I'm sure of their gender!

Thanks redsoxs, I found that thread this arvo, another long one to add to my list of reading
big_smile.png

Thanks CTKen, I agree with you on the plymouth/barred, that photo was about a week ago, it is looking more roo every day!

Hi there and welcome to Backyard chickens! I love your variety of breeds, the Barnvelders are on my wishlist, and I have 4 Wellies. I love the dark brown eggs I get from them. If you are planning on using herbs with your chickens, I can not recommend this book enough, I found it at my bookstore, and then I had to have her other herb/poultry books. https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Eggs-D...=8-1&keywords=fresh+eggs+daily+by+lisa+steele. I hope you enjoy BYC!

G'day Krystal - nice to meet you. BYC has a large Aussie community spread through out the many threads and forums. Always room for more.

Thanks everyone :)

CuzChickens I think by now I have read through her whole website! I'll have to see if I can find her books here. The barnevelder and welsummer were the two chickens I had to have, now I'm just waiting for the welsummer to get all the beautiful markings, oh and of course some eggs down the track!

Back
Top Bottom