Hi from Bosque, NM

nhcd33

Hatching
Jul 8, 2016
Bosque, NM
Hi there! My name is Shannon and I'm brand new to chickens. My boyfriend is not and has has them on and off most of his life. We just got a flock of 6 with 5 hens (3 Easter Eggers, 1 Speckled Sussex & 1 Buff Orpington) and a Crram Legbar Rooster. The hens are all about 9 months old and were laying 4-6 eggs per week per hen with their last owner. They were also free range in the ladies backyard. She fed them a mixture of crumble 16% and scratch with some additional fruits and vegetables. We are feeding the same but I don't think we are feeding as much fruits and vegetables as she was. We have them penned with a coop right now as they acclimate to us and the new area. We live in the country and she lived in town. We have 2.2 acres but the house is on a fenced acre with the back yard and front yard separated. The chickens are in the backyard right now. I have 3 dogs, a German Shepard and 2 Heelers all around 3 years old and they have never been around chickens before. Matter of fact they have never been in the country before. Lol. They are city dogs.
1f60a.png
So everyone is getting used to everyone.
The chickens are only laying 1 egg a day right now. They don't seem stressed but maybe they are still getting used to everything. Am I doing something wrong? I'm nervous about letting them out of the coop to free range. I'm just so new to all of this. Anyway, that's a little about our setup. Oh we built the coop from stuff we had on the property so it cost us next to nothing which was nice. They have lots of room. The coop itself is probably 7x7 and the run is 10x8. We don't have a lot of grass right now because the previous owners of this property had goats and they decimated everything. So we have to replant. The front yard is a little better but I'm worried about mixing chickens with herding dogs. Ugh. Hope everyone has a great day!! I tried to post a picture but I lost everything I previously typed so maybe I can figure it out later. I'm on my iPhone.

1f33b.png
1f33b.png

Shannon

welcome-byc.gif

You are in the country, wish I was!

You will be able to post photos once you have posted a few posts. Around 20 is the norm. Then you will be able to. Look around, check out your state thread!

Hi :welcome Shannon

Glad you could join us here! Lovely intro and congratulations on getting your chicken adventures started :clap It can take them a while to get used to their new surroundings and routine so as long as they are acting normal and healthy I would not be too worried about the eggs yet.
Please do check out the learning Center ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
I'm sure you will find lots of great info there.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Here here...over here in the South Central Mountains of NM!!
woot.gif
Nice to see a fellow New Mexican on BYC!!

Free ranging is fine once your birds become acclimated to your area and they know where home is. It is always best to lock them in the coop and run for several days when you first bring them home so they are comfortable in the coop. Chickens will always return to the place they last slept and survived the night. So you need to train them that the coop is a safe place to sleep, lay and hang out in. Otherwise they can roost in the trees at night and lay in some secret nesting spot outside.

Newly moved chickens can stop laying for a while because of the stress of a new home, not knowing where to lay and where it is safe to lay. You might do well by keeping fake eggs in the nest boxes so that it not only teaches them where you want them to lay, but also when they think another hen has laid her egg there, it is safe for this hen to lay her's there as well.

Oh and you might want to connect with other New Mexican in our state thread here.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/18195/new-mexico

Lots of members up in the East Mountains and in and around Albuquerque. Some from Las Cruces and a few other spots around the state.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock! :)

Back
Top Bottom