Hi from Cornwall

the abc club

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2020
I have kept hens for around six years and often research problems on this great site so I thought I'd join. Currently I have a beak count of 14. I have a mixed flock of Lohmanns, Warrens, Skylines, various types of Maran, and have just brought on 4 Buff Orpington chicks that are now around 9 weeks old. We live in a rural barn with a bit of land so the girls have a big enclosure, well-fenced against foxes. Not lost any yet but it's always on my mind! I called myself the ABC Club because I go through the alphabet naming my hens. I'm up to Violet now. Just got two what I strongly suspect are boys in the chicks though, Sidney and Theo, so I am busy researching what to do if I have two cockerels and only 12 hens to go round? May be on here a lot for advice. They are both too funny to give up :)

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Hi and welcome to BYC. Keeping both cockbirds may not be the best for your girls. Chat with other BYC members nearby using the links in my signature, below (turn your phone to landscape to see them).

Make yourself at home and enjoy the forums.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

the abc club

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2020
Thanks Pork Pie, yes I know! I am toying with getting more girls so two boys don't wear my girls out, but not sure. If anyone wants a beautiful Buff Orpington cockerel and would give him an excellent home, get in touch. Both my boys are so lovely! Still holding out the faintest hope Theo is a girl but it is fading fast :) Sidney was all boy from day one.

Top Bottom