Hi from Coventry, RI

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eyebr0wz, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Eyebr0wz

Eyebr0wz New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    Helllloooooooooooo BYC!!!!

My wife and I are considering getting some chickens so I did some research and found this wonderful website. I feel overwhelmed with all the information that is out there. I am hopefully getting some chicks this spring (still up in the air) and was going to start building a coop for them now so I am ready for when they get older. I am thinking about getting 4 Easter Eggers and 2 other hens (preferred to have one that lays white and another brown eggs). Not sure if this is the best choice but I would like the different colored eggs. What is the best thing to do for a newbie starting out? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

You've already done the best thing for a newbie to do; you've joined BYC! Welcome.

Start in the learning center. Don't hesitate to get started, it is fun!

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

There is indeed a lot of info here, some correct and some just supposition. Just keep in mind that opinions are like noses, everyone has one.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome to BYC and Happy Holidays! Like everybody else said, the BYC Learning Center is a good place to start. You might want to check out your areas thread on the Where Am I Where Are You board for what people in your area do so far as breeds, coops etc do. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread Check out the BYC Breeds section for member reviews on breeds and the Henderson chicken breed chart compares a lot of common breeds and lists egg color, cold hardiness etc http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#j

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Everyone has given you great advice, my two cents is build your coop and run bigger than you think you need, chickens are addictive! Also don't use chicken wire, use 1/4 inch hardware cloth which is a very strong mesh wire that predators can't get through. Good luck to you.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - spent a lot of time in Coventry at Little Rhody Beagle Club.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Best of luck to you! Be prepared but also take things as they come - I planned and did research before getting chickens, but ended up just going along with it when we bought the birds, because things work out differently for everyone. :p Chickens are a hardy bunch, they can deal with lots: weather, cats and dogs (at least some), etc.

I hope you find all the info you need here, and enjoy the site. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by