Hi from Fla

ChiasPet

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
So my son's class hatched 9 chicks over the memorial day weekend, his teacher is begging me to take them as the farmer is pretty aggressive when picking them up. I have wanted to have a couple of chickens, but have always been scared to take the leap, as I dont want to harm them by not knowing what to do.
So we are babysitting the 4-5 day old chicks for the weekend. One of them has pasty butt. I read to moisten the area and try to clean out the poop, which I did and I applied a small amount of olive oil for preventative measures. is there any other advice I may need to keep these little guys happy? I would like to keep them. Is it better to get older chicks or is it possible for a newbie to raise them.
Thanks in advance!!
Renee

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. It is good to keep to keep their bums clean. All they need is chick starter, water and heat, 90-95 degrees and they should be fine. :thumbsup

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Hello and :welcome

We've always raised our chickens from a young age, that way they get to know you and get used to having people around. Although grown chickens will still follow you round once they've settled in enough! :lol:
You did the right thing for the pasty butt. That should settle down once the chicks have gotten over the stress of the move to a new home.
best of luck!!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Welcome Chias Where in Florida are you. We are located in Taylor County. Sounds like you handled the pasty butt fine. I usually dip their butts in a bowl of warm water then gently pull off the crusty poop Dont be afraid to ask questions on here thats what we are here for also check into and add your name to the Florida group over in Where are you Where am I sectiion Again welcome

Back
Top Bottom