Hi from Lecanto, Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DerekF, Apr 18, 2016.

1. DerekF

DerekF New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Lecanto, FL
    Just wanted to introduce myself. From Louisiana, but call Florida home since 2011. Dad had chickens when I was younger, but haven't messed with them since I was in second or third grade. Thought this would be a great experience for my son, since he doesn't have the luxury of growing up on a cattle/soybean farm like I did. Trying to not raise a city slicker! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Went to Tractor Supply 3 days ago and with the intention of picking up 5-6 chicks. Ended up bringing home 9. Five Americaunas, 2 RIRs, and 2 sexlink pullets. The wife also made me get 2 ducklings because she had one as a pet as a child. Set up a child's pool brooder, that I think the Americs will be getting out of soon, in our Florida room.
    Then yesterday I set up an auto-shade canopy, and built a coop for them all in the back yard.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nothing in the coop yet, but I'll put some roosts in there along with a few nesting boxes soon. I'll also have to finish fencing in the auto-shade, but my beautiful wife says I have other things to do around here first.
    Just want to thank all of the members here for the wealth of knowledge you all post here. I read the forums, when I'm taking a break, sitting by the brooder, letting all the chick's funny antics entertain me.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

Your new flock are such cuties. I know you and your children will love this new adventure.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What beutful chicks you have there :D Your coop is coming on great and I'm sure they will enjoy it very much when they are bigger.
    Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Your chicks look like happy campers, and I'm sure they will love their new coop.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced poultry keepers - loads of info on anything poultry. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

These links may help you for the moment.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC -- raising chickens is an excellent family project, there is something about kids and chickens that just naturally go together (imo).

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I know you said the coop isn't quite finished yet, so maybe it is in the works, but I don't see much in the way of ventilation. Ventilation is key in having a happy, healthy flock - especially in a warm climate such as the one you live in.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. DerekF

DerekF New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Lecanto, FL
    You're right, Grey mare. I've got to get the garden planted today, so tomorrow I'm planning on cutting in some ventilation windows and covering them with construction mesh. Then I'll finish fencing in the run under the canopy and building an access gate for it, along with a proper ramp, roosts, and adding nesting bins.
    Feel like there's still lots to do, but I should still have plenty of time before they're ready for the coop.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Derrick, I also noticed no apparent ventilation . Looks like a nice setting for ducks and chicks. What breeds do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by