Hi from Long Island, NY!

Sukigirl

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2015
Long Island, NY
Thank you for allowing me to become a member of BYC. Although I had chickens as a child (many moons ago lol) 8 months ago I decided to start raising chickens for the eggs and experience for my own children. I am so hooked now!!!!
1f604.png

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! That's so nice you have got back into keeping chickens. I'm sure your children will be enjoying it very much too. It's a great way for them to learn how to care for animals.
What breed/s do you have? Be sure to ask any questions that you may have,everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Thanks for the warm welcome! I currently have a Polish rooster, an Easter Egger, a Barred Rock, 2 sex-linked hens and 2 other unknown mixed breed ladies! This coming spring I'll be adding 2 Cream Legbars. I free ranged them for a few months but then one was picked off by a hawk :( So we built long run for them and only allow free ranging a few hours a week. It makes me so sad they cannot be free all day. Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning a lot from all of you!!! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! I currently have a Polish rooster, an Easter Egger, a Barred Rock, 2 sex-linked hens and 2 other unknown mixed breed ladies! This coming spring I'll be adding 2 Cream Legbars. I free ranged them for a few months but then one was picked off by a hawk
sad.png
So we built long run for them and only allow free ranging a few hours a week. It makes me so sad they cannot be free all day. Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning a lot from all of you!!!
smile.png

You're welcome, and I'm sorry about your loss to the hawk. It's always sad to lose one of our flock. :eek:(

welcome-byc.gif

I'm sorry you've lost one of your birds. Predators are one of the hazards of free ranging. Of course there are benefits too so it's up to each owner to decide which they would like to do.

If you are interested in chatting with other members from NY, you can find your state thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
Sometimes it can be helpful to talk with members that are closest to you.

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom