Hi from Long Island!

WhiskyEye

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2020
Hi!
I've done lots of free labor on farms over the years and have always loved ducks and chickens. I've had 2 chickens for one summer as a learning experience for my young niece, and I rehabbed a couple ducks way back when. I decided now that I am living in a place that has the space, I would get my own girls! I've had them here for a week, breaking my 3 week COVID quarantine (in a mask and gloves) to pick up a coop, supplies, and three hens. They're Red Sex Link chickens, and I've named them Gail, Cheryl, and Gertrude aka Gertie. When I went to get them, I chose the three that were the most curious and least skittish of the bunch. They now follow me around the yard, sit in the hammock with me, and come when I call!! They are so sweet, and such a reassurance during this interesting time in the world. I can't wait till they're laying eggs, they're 4 months old right now.
My female dog is interested, but leaves them alone when I ask her to. My boy is half lab and boy does he want to chase them! I keep them well separated. I have done fostering, rehab, and wildlife rehab for years, have two dogs, and I raise Madagascar Hissing Roaches too. I hunt, tan hides, and ride and build motorcycles. I work from home as a software developer so I get to be with my animals all day.
I can't wait to learn from you all!
Whisky.

Hello there Whiskey and welcome to BYC! :frow

This is the place to be when you keep poultry! Good luck with your new flock, chickens sure are fun to keep.

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. Welcome to our community! :)

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! 🐔

Feel free to drop in and share your flock

Updates for 2020 with us here in my 2020 flock life thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2020-flock-life.1351080/

0DCFF9F7-0E64-4A19-B966-41E8ACFA0F48.jpeg

It’s nice to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom