Hi from Louisiana

scuezme

Hatching
11 Years
May 4, 2008
louisiana
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. My DH & I are very new at raising chickens. It was weird because I had originally gone to the feed store to get herbs. I wanted a herb garden.

I've always wanted chickens, but thought DH would not agree. We get there & DH did the math in his head. He thought it would be cheaper to raise chickens. LOL I wasn't about to say no. We now have six beautiful girls. 3 reds, one black & 2 americana (?). Not sure. My girls are just starting to lay eggs. I'm so excited. DH has gotten so attached to them. We never realized how soft they are. Or how heavy they get. It's so cute to watch him go outside to collect eggs.

Anyway, we both work the same shift. Weird hours. So I may not have time to post a lot... sorry. We both work for the Sheriff's office. He's on the road, I'm a correctional officer. Since I'm right by the radio, I know what calls he goes too. I try not to stress out when I know he is going to something ... like a shooting.

So our chickens & my vegetable garden are my way to unwind. Destress... Oh I still don't have my herb garden. But the chickens are worth it.

welcome-byc.gif

Congrats. on the chickens. I will take the chickens over the herb garden any day...lol

I see that you are from Southern Louisiana. There are several of us from Southern LA on here. Glad to know that more people from our area are joining.

Dorothy

Howdy neighbor!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm a newbie to this forum, too.

I'm across the Washington Parish line, about 25 mi. north of Franklinton. Where in Louisiana are you located?

Evelyn

hi i m new in brusly, just across the river from baton rouge... about to hatch some eggs and would like some more if anyone has some.. especially heritage rhode island reds...

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. My DH & I are very new at raising chickens. It was weird because I had originally gone to the feed store to get herbs. I wanted a herb garden.

I've always wanted chickens, but thought DH would not agree. We get there & DH did the math in his head. He thought it would be cheaper to raise chickens. LOL I wasn't about to say no. We now have six beautiful girls. 3 reds, one black & 2 americana (?). Not sure. My girls are just starting to lay eggs. I'm so excited. DH has gotten so attached to them. We never realized how soft they are. Or how heavy they get. It's so cute to watch him go outside to collect eggs.

Anyway, we both work the same shift. Weird hours. So I may not have time to post a lot... sorry. We both work for the Sheriff's office. He's on the road, I'm a correctional officer. Since I'm right by the radio, I know what calls he goes too. I try not to stress out when I know he is going to something ... like a shooting.

So our chickens & my vegetable garden are my way to unwind. Destress... Oh I still don't have my herb garden. But the chickens are worth it.

Hello!! I’m a NC native moved to S. LA back in 2015! We are new to chickens too and sounds like your experience is like my family’s intro to chickens...I’ve always wanted and never thought my hubby would give in but he went with it and he says I have a problem hehe. We have a (almost) 4 yo daughter and she loves them too. We started with 5 SR Silkies bc I figured I’d end up with roos out of the bunch (still too young to tell what they are @ 10 weeks)
Now I’ve added 6 more to the flock that are just now 4 weeks: Black australorp, Blue/Black/splash Orpington, lavender orpington, blue favacauna, Easter Egger, and a silver laced Cochin and they are all so sweet. I’m still getting used to how wet it is down here so maybe y’all can help me learn a few things between raising chickens in the LA climate.

We just finished our permanent coop and have our permanent run left to build, it has just been SO HOT it slowed us down a lot! Looking forward to being connected with all of y’all! We love our chickens, I can’t wait for the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom