Hi from Melbourne, Australia

K8ykat1

Hatching
Oct 5, 2015
Victoria, Australia
Hello! Thought I'd day G'day and introduce myself. I live in a small rural fringe town in Victoria.

I originally bought 4 point of lay Isas completely free range who I had for 1 year, until a fox/feral cat got them all in one hit.

I then built a fully enclosed yard last year and brought in 3 8 week old hens (barnevelder, light sussex & welsummer) who I let out of during the day only. These girls are so much more docile than the Isas, but definitely lay less eggs!

My Barnevelder has been quite broody so I took the plunge and bought my first ever day olds (Plymouth rock, buff sussex & Wyandotte). I crept in during the night not long after sundown with a red light and stuck the 3 loudly peeping chicks under her. Shut the coop and held my breathe. Everyone settled straight to sleep. That was 3 days ago and so far so good. She is very protective of her babies and hasn't had any grief yet from the other hens. Only time will tell if the introduction is successful but fingers crossed! It is all very exciting
1f603.png

Hope broody mama is satisfied with her instant chicks. Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. BYC has a thread called "Australia, six states and one funny little island." , in case you want to see what is going on back home.

G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock and I'm glad things are doing well with your chooks. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

I hope things go well for the new littles added to the flock, it sounds like mama is doing a good job so far.

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom