Hi from NE PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TreeHuggerz75, Mar 9, 2011.

1. TreeHuggerz75

TreeHuggerz75 Hatching

Mar 8, 2011
    My family and I recently bought a house in NE PA, far far from our last apartment home in SE PA. We have a smallish yard, but have been making plans to garden, we had one last year that was fairly successful, and our next adventure is getting a few chickens.

My worry is that while there are no specific laws about keeping chickens, I worry that my neighbor will cause issues, we've already had to speak to her on several occasions to keep her 4 year old Autistic child from playing in/around the compost bins, and that their dog seems to kill and/or terrorize any other animal it see's as a threat, she will bark at us inside our house if she happens to see us pass by the windows, and will froth at the mouth to get at one of the cats if she happens to see one on the porch, or near a window (No my cats do not go outside)

We're really looking forward to getting to know everyone, and getting some great information!

2. Pinky

Pinky Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Hi and [​IMG] !
    This is one of the best places on the internet to find info on chickens! [​IMG]

3. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    Hello and [​IMG] from Schuylkill County!

If you think you may have problems, I'd consider only getting hens. Could you use landscaping to block their view to a chicken run?

Sounds like a really pleasant dog... Make sure your chicken run is sturdy...

You'll have fun with chickens! Right now it's chick days at Tractor Supply, so maybe head to one and check out the chicks (if you haven't already!)!!!

Have fun!

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Michigan!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. The neighbor's dog will be an issue if you decide to get chickens.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Good luck with that dog. I think it will be an issue no matter what you do. Just make sure your pen is sturdy. [​IMG]

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:[​IMG] I happen to have a VERY similar neighbor...with very similar issues. We are slowly working on putting up a fence around our property. Hopefully you can do the same.

8. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Songster

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    [​IMG] Keep them well secured so the dog won't get them. Funny isn't it, that in some areas it is not legal to have chickens, but a person can have a aggressive dog.

9. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from South Central PA.

10. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    Hi and [​IMG] from SC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: