Hi from New Hampshire!

Pics

NH Chicken Mama

Songster
Sep 24, 2019
Lost in Thought
So, I'm new here, and I'm going to be super-original and answer the suggested questions.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Very new, got them two days ago (actually, I got them about a week and a half ago, but a friend held on to them for me until I could get them set up here at my house. Got a good deal on laying hens - $8 a pop so, why not?)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

Laying hens:

Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty: (4 year old has yet to decide on her name :lol::lol::lol:) I think she is a Barred Rock - it was suggested by the woman selling me the hens that she was crossed with a Wyandotte, but looks exactly like a barred rock? :confused: Not too worried about it!

Pine: Easter egger, definitely the most reliable layer so far from what I have seen. She layed on the day we first brought in the hens to the friends' coop, and then layed her second day at our house.

Retired layers:
Jade and Skipper: Rhode Island Reds? Not entirely sure of the breed for the last two, acquired by the aforementioned friend as a flock of 4 hens who were petering out on their laying production. He took them in mostly for fertilizer/turning ground. I took two of his so that he could acquire more of the layers that I found on Craigslist. They're definitely the older of the flock, already can tell that by their personality. I live near a lake, and there is an invasive earthworm type here (Asian Jumping Worm) that is insanely bountiful in the woods near my home. I took his two in to help with eating them up!

I've had to chase the young'uns (Cinderella twice, and Pine once) several times as I've worked out flaws in my pen-moving systems and one found a hole in my fortification that I hadn't thought was large enough to fit a hen through. Honestly I think even she was surprised that she escaped :lau. We were a *almost* late to soccer practice yesterday due to the escapees lol

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love that they eat bugs. Specifically I am hoping for a little tick control help for next spring. And of course the worms. And poop! I've wanted them ever since I was a kid and my father expressed desire to get some to help with his garden fertilization! I also follow quite a few gardeners who are also chicken owners on Instagram and YouTube, and I love their love for their birds.

Bonus - eggs that are produced in a way where chickens aren't subjected to absolutely miserable conditions. We are working towards becoming less dependent on the current mass-produced food system. Our reasons are to stop supporting the inhumane treatment of animals and also to reduce our carbon footprint related to the transportation of food to the grocery store. In general just to bring more sustainability to our food consumption and land. And to teach our children how to create their own food so that they have a thorough understanding of where it comes from.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, chasing children (I guess I love running around developing new entrapment strategics on the fly!). Video games, YouTube, soccer, reading. I want to get back in to sewing, too, I guessssss ha. I'm an avid reader in regards to anything that piques my curiosity, and am always delving in to new subject areas to fully understand anything from child development, nutrition, health, the environment, politics, technology, farming, food production, marketing, personal development, psychology, astronomy, history, world culture... you name it, I probably have some interest in learning more about it!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

One hubby, two active girls (4 and 8). We are looking to adopt a puppy. I also am waiting for a friends' cat to have kittens. We would like to get goats and pigs and horses in the future - but have to redesign our shed to accommodate. I'm currently a stay at home mom, but will be returning to the work force soon.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I've known about BYC for ages, ever since I really started looking in to chickens. I have been getting the newsletter for a while. Three days ago, when we brought our chickens home, we had them in their transport cage in the back of our SUV and my oldest daughter asked if they could fart because there was a godawful smell. The next day, I believe, I received the BYC newsletter, and the farting chickens thread was highlighted. What a hoot! Chickens are so funny! In addition, I've been reading all of the many tidbits of advice on care and coop/run defense and design... so here I am.

:woot (I LOVE THIS EMOJI... w00t is my WORD!) :highfive:

The Barred Rock is in the background here... of course ha

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_214039_976.jpg
    IMG_20190922_214039_976.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 7
I have extended the run attached to their coop since this picture - it was my project yesterday. I plan on free ranging them, that's one of my next avenues of investigation on here as they weren't free-ranged before and are older now... how long do I have to keep them locked up until they figure out their coop is home and don't stray too far (we do have 5.5 acres). They're not particularly friendly, for sure regarding the older hens as their previous owner and his daughter just weren't able to get them to socialize much with them.

Of course Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty is the one who is blurry ha

Attachments

• 20190922_190415.jpg
    20190922_190415.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 8
At least 2-3 days on the location without moving it, so they can fid their way home, and if they haven't been outside before, it may not go super smoothly...

I had thought as much. I'm keeping them moving around the yard in a portable "run" (pictured in avatar) so they aren't stuck in their small run all day long digging at the same spot. The first night they needed a little help figuring out the roosting situation (two tried to roost at the top of the ramp, the second pushed the first IN to the coop in order to get roosting, and the other two weren't aggressive enough to make it in past her, so I gave the second fluff butt enough of a nudge to get her IN :gig) Night 2 I went out and they were all chillaxing inside ready for the door to close. I guess I'll give them a little time at night right before bed after a few more days, and see how that goes. 10 minutes shouldn't let them get too far. Maybe slowly extend that time every evening?

Back
Top Bottom