Hi from New Zealand :)

lilychemgirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We first got chickens 18 months ago, a friend with a farm brought me a 'grow your own chickens kit' to work, I turned up and there was a box on my desk with a broody hen sitting on 14 eggs. She hatched 8 of those, of which 4 were roos that we sent back to the friend with the farm, and 4 were hens, who we have now. We also kept Maisy, our original broody, because we loved her so much
smile.png

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Maisy, our grandma hen, our original 4 mixed breed hens (Speckles, who thinks she is a rooster and makes love to the other girls, who lays huge eggs and has never gone broody, Coca, a beautiful black girl, and two white hens Snowy and Blondie), a purebred buff orpington cockerel (Buffy) and a purebred blue andalusian pullet (Lucia, both 5 months). We have hatched 3 lots of chicks now, one for a friend and the third 5 chicks of which 4 were roosters. We have kept 'buffy' the orpinton roo because he has yet to crow, although unfortunately he is going to have to be dinner soon! (All our other roos have gone to live on the farm, but buffy is just too juicy looking).

(3) What breeds do you have?
See above
smile.png
Our mixed breed hens mostly have some silky in them so they are good broodies, and we think one has australorp and another has rhode island red.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Google.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
We are very into gardening, and have an extensive edible garden incl. fruit, veges, berries.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Our family is me, dh, dd 5 years, dd1.5 years, Sasha the cat and the chooks at this point
smile.png
I am a bit chicken mad, but have had to restrain myself as we are in the suburbs and don't really have room for any more than we have got. We want to slowly change our flock to a mixture of rare breeds though.

Thanks for having me
smile.png

20760_welcome.jpg

[COLOR=770077]From [/COLOR][COLOR=aa00aa]Old[/COLOR] [COLOR=cc00cc]Town,[/COLOR] [COLOR=ee00ee]Maine[/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom