Hi from Olympia, WA.

SuzyQ2

Hatching
8 Years
May 26, 2011
So, another new (long winded) member and a new chicken keeper. I have developed a minor obsession with chickens over the past 6 months and now have 14 chicks in a brooder in my laundry area. I intended to have 3 full sized layers and a silkie or two for my daughter but thanks to a mix up with ordering and the extra chicks sent by the hatchery, well I am feeling slightly over chickened. We had to order 5 of each breed and a friend and I were dividing and raising them for other friends with established flocks who wanted a few new birds. We ordered 5 Ameraucana pullets and got sent 6 bantam easter eggers which are unsexed. So with the 5 unsexed silkies which are actually 6 and the Wyandotte and Australorp well, that's too many. I had homes for the Ameraucanas but the bantams are a bit of a question. Can they be introduced into an established flock of full sized layers? I kept them all together because it seemed they would be more likely to be bullied. How can I tell which ones are roosters? (the age old question) I have been spending hours watching the feathers grow in and well? Is it the same pattern of growth for bantams as full sized birds? I have homes for the extra silkie pullets and any roosters, but bantam roosters? Can they go into a full sized flock? It seems like they aren't good meat birds. I'm not sure what to do with them. Any suggestions? It seems like this may be a common question too. Did I mention that we can have 3 birds according to city ordinances? We built a catawaba chicken tractor that can hold up to 8 birds, so we are ok for a little while but if we keep some of the bantams I was also wondering about them not having a high pen as they seem to like to fly already at 11 days old. We can make a run that attache to the chicken tractor but would like to wait a bit before I spring that on my carpenter man. They are the cutest little things I have ever seen so of course I want to sell my house and move to the country but my husband says this isn't realistic. Maybe if I keep pushing the move he will be happy to construct a grand chicken palace to keep me happy.
The mild stress I feel seems worth it as my 7yr old daughter looked up from the brooder with a dreamy look on her face and said "Mommy I feel so peaceful when I am with the birds" I just need to spend some time in chicken meditation and it will all work out I am sure.

gig.gif
Cute story! Aren't chickens addictive?? Most of us believe, you can never have to many!!! You know, chicken math?!
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! Enjoy!!!
thumbsup.gif

ohhhh i worry for you! most people you read on here start out with few and get more and more and more until theyre over run! so if you start with a lot youre bound to get over run much faster! you'll miss the fuzz!
wink.png
good luck!

Back
Top Bottom