Hi from Ontario Canada!!

kcco

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Ontario Canada
Hi Everyone,
I used to be a member of BYC a few years ago when I first took the leap to raise chickens ( 16 of 'em ) - what an amazing experience : ) I couldnt have asked for a better group of girls. Anyways long story short - a breakup in a relationship led me to leave my beautiful girls behind and start a new life in a new area... fast forward about 3 years...to today! I live in a rural area, on 3 acres of property surrounded by bush with my handsome English Springer Spaniel " Harley " and my BF. Last spring I wanted to get some chicks again but thought it be best to wait as we just bought our house last April and we had soo much going on - building a coop was the last thing on my mind. Also last year with the help of the BF we built a raised garden ( in my pic ) and that kept me busy...not too big not too small just enough for the two of us. It turned out amazing, although I didnt plan for what I would do with all my harvest so a lot spoiled :( this year I will plan better and I will learn how to can and store everything properly ( and of course share with my new peeps ) I have just ordered 5 dual purpose chicks - day old hatch choice - which means a mix of breeds but I wont know what until I pick them up...and I either get them next order or in two weeks. I plan to brood in Harleys old dog crate which will be the perfect size and then, move to a coop which will be built from an old... verryyyy old desk that came in the basement of our house. I look forward to getting back into things and re learning everything " chicken " ... I will try to post pictures as I go and contribute where I can... I also cant wait to eat fresh eggs again ( YUM! )
smile.png
Kcco!!

images

Welcome to BYC!

And glad to have you back as well! Lots has changed on BYC and of course it is growing huge these days.

Good luck with your new chicks! If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. Enjoy your new flock and welcome to ours!!

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome Back To BYC and to chickens! Good luck with your new chicks when you get them, will be fun to figure out breeds. That was a pretty garden you had last year, bet the chicks will appreciate it this year.

Thanks for all the welcomes!! I am def. glad to be back - I can see myself not following my " canning and preserving " plan this year just b/c I will be very generous with the chickens hahha nothing wrong there though, I'd give up a zucchini or two or 5 for some delicious eggs hahah
big_smile.png

well my chicks came today - kind of a surprise.. normally they call you the day prior so you can warm up your brooder but they didnt call : ( so instead I left my new girls 6 !! ( I ordered 5 but they sent an extra ) in the truck to keep warm since it snowed last night and most of today and I turned on the heat lamp to warm up..filled up their water and feed and eagerly waited for it to get to 90-95 degrees... ( there were in an unheated garage ) .... well I couldn't keep the temp above 90 so i decided to bring them inside and set them up in the bathroom ( mind you they seemed fine outside, but I was worried about low temps overnight ) They are doing great so far, I forgot how much I enjoyed just watching them " speed run " across the pen lol.. I do have 1 girl who seems to be very tired compared to the others... still eating and drinking... but not really socializing.. more or less just sleeping constantly... should I be worried???

Congratulations on your new surprise chicks! Lucky you were able to get set up on short notice! As long as she is eating and drinking normally I would just keep an eye on her, hopefully she just had a little rougher trip and will recover after she warms up and gets some rest. Do you have sugar/ chick saver or something similar in the water?

Congratulations on your new surprise chicks! Lucky you were able to get set up on short notice! As long as she is eating and drinking normally I would just keep an eye on her, hopefully she just had a little rougher trip and will recover after she warms up and gets some rest. Do you have sugar/ chick saver or something similar in the water?

Luckily I had the brooder set up and ready to go ( minus the heat light being on but that didnt take long to warm up ) .. .I dont have anything in the water just plain h20 from the tap.. they all have been fine since that first visit this morning - now all of 'em are eating, drinking, playing, running to my hand when I open the crate and climbing on my hand / arm, so I am not worried anymore : ) Is it recommended to give an electrolyte mix to new chicks or just if they seem sick, tired, weak etc??

Back
Top Bottom