Hi from Pa. First flock in March.

dfalchek

Songster
9 Years
Dec 20, 2014
Scranton, Pa
I'm from Scranton, Pa.

I'm so new to chicken ownership, I don't own any yet. But I'm building my coop and run on days when it is not too cold.

Just this Christmas I ordered my pullets from Lancaster Fancy Fowl -- a buff orp, barred rock, Swedish flower, and EE to be picked up in late March. I selected them for their suitability to confinement, docility, cold hardiness, and temperament with people.

Going with pullets vs. chicks was struggle. I wanted a local source, particular breeds, didn't feel up to gambling on getting roos or having to sell or process them. I'm in a city.

I forget when I first got the idea to raise chickens. But the idea took hold when I learned that Scranton, Pa. has always been chicken friendly, having never altered the pro-chicken laws on the books through WWII. Chicken raising seems fun, entertaining. I like the idea of having control over even a small part of my food supply, doing something my grandparents did.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/business/chicken-farming-re-hatches-in-scranton-1.1699578

I don't have any pets and my wife it not nearly as excited as I am about raising chickens, but I hope that will change.

My work has to do with wine and beverage alcohol. I'm a writer and educator. The chicken community is very helpful and sharing. Thanks to BYC participants for paving the way for the rest of us.

David

Hi David, nice to meet you. Welcome to Backyard Chickens. I wouldn't worry too much about your spouse - once she sees the birds she will fall victim to their spell. Chickens are just captivating - most people pull up a chair near the coop/run and watch them like TV. Chicken TV is better, no cable or satellite bills, new shows every day and no reruns.

Welcome, it is nice to see another fanatic like me. When I get into a new hobby, I do so much research that I could practically write a book.

Happy learning,
Samantha

Welcome to BYC, David. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. I've had all of those breeds at one time or another except the Swedish Flower, and you have some good breeds coming. I've raised Buff Orpingtons for years and they are a wonderful breed; very cold hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and good layers of large, brown eggs. Our Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. I think you are wise ordering pullets as well. I've ordered only pullet orders for a number of years now in orders of 25 and since most hatcheries on guarantee 90% accuracy on sexed orders, I almost always get a cockerel or two anyway (unless it's a sex link order). I order 25, even when I don't need that many, because a larger number of chicks ships better than a smaller number. Since I have the order form to show that I ordered pullets, I've never had any problem selling off the extra chicks. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in finishing your coop and run, and in getting your chicks.

Welcome to BYC!

x2 on drumstick diva's comments. Chickens are fascinating and fun. Each has it's own personality and quirks and they are very easy animals to get attached to.

When you build your coop and run, go bigger than you think you will need. Chickens like room (being crowded makes them cranky). And don't be surprised when 'chicken math' gets you...chickens are addictive and most people end up wanting more than what they start with.

Have fun and if you have questions, feel free to ask.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens;)!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks, Michael.

I guess my only concern with pullets is not having the ability to raise them from the beginning to be comfortable with people and their flock mates. For the first-time owner, I guess it is important to see the birds through their lifespan. With pullets,there's an unknown of what the first few months of their life was like. Glad to hear your experience with pullets was positive. Thanks for the encouragement. DF

Back
Top Bottom