Hi from pa mountains

Rustylane

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2017
Hi
Just wanted to say hi and ask a question. I just received my 8 new chicks six days ago. This morning one little girl was having trouble standing and when placed in her own box with food and water would eat or drink a bit and then fall asleep in the food bowl. Yesterday she was active with her sisters. Have been raising chicks for ten years and have never seen this before. Chick does not have splayed legs. Stumped. Any ideas?

Some unfortunately can fall behind, either due to not eating and drinking enough soon enough or sometimes they aren't formed correctly. Another option is that very young chicks need lots of sleep and they can fall asleep in an instant. You didn't mention how old it was. You could add some electrolytes, or even a bit of sugar to the water for some quick energy, otherwise time will tell.

:welcome

She may be the last chick added to your shipment, and probably younger than the others. Even a day or two behind them - is a lot to catch up on. Maybe she doesn't get to feed or water until the others are done & is worn out trying to push through them.

Hi and welcome to BYC. You have some good advice above, so I'll just say hi and wish you the best of luck with your chick.

CT

Some unfortunately can fall behind, either due to not eating and drinking enough soon enough or sometimes they aren't formed correctly. Another option is that very young chicks need lots of sleep and they can fall asleep in an instant. You didn't mention how old it was. You could add some electrolytes, or even a bit of sugar to the water for some quick energy, otherwise time will tell.

:welcome
Thanks. I have placed this little girl in a small box alone with her own food and water with sav a chick electrolytes and robotics in the water just as I have with the other chicks. She has trouble walking and wants to list to the left. She is now eight days old but looks about two days. Her primary wing feathers are very small and no signs of tail feathers. I have been feeding her the water via eye dropper. She eats fine on her own. She chirps contentedly in the box and will waddle around a couple of steps then falls asleep. She fell asleep in her food bowl last night while eating. She can hear her sister chicks in the brooder cheering and will answer. I am really stumped as to what else to try since I have tried everything I am aware of. I guess I am a little worried that for the first time in ten years of rearing chicks I might lose one.

She may be the last chick added to your shipment, and probably younger than the others. Even a day or two behind them - is a lot to catch up on. Maybe she doesn't get to feed or water until the others are done & is worn out trying to push through them.
Thanks
I thought about that and separated her from the other chicks with her own food and water. It was strange how the first five days she was fine and then suddenly was weak and unable to walk. I thought maybe she had splayed leg but hobbled her. It did not help but caused her to fall over to her left side. Took the hobble off and started treating her for possible dehydration. She will not drink on her own but will eat like a little piggy so I started using and eye dropper to feed her her electrolyte and macrobiotic water. She drinks very well this way. She still falls asleep in her food bowl and am a little concerned she could fall over in the mayo lid I am using for her water bowl and drown. She acts like when is narcoleptic.

Thanks. I have placed this little girl in a small box alone with her own food and water with sav a chick electrolytes and robotics in the water just as I have with the other chicks. She has trouble walking and wants to list to the left. She is now eight days old but looks about two days. Her primary wing feathers are very small and no signs of tail feathers. I have been feeding her the water via eye dropper. She eats fine on her own. She chirps contentedly in the box and will waddle around a couple of steps then falls asleep. She fell asleep in her food bowl last night while eating. She can hear her sister chicks in the brooder cheering and will answer. I am really stumped as to what else to try since I have tried everything I am aware of. I guess I am a little worried that for the first time in ten years of rearing chicks I might lose one.
Unfortunately some don't make it, sounds like you are doing everything you can, still is upsetting not to be able to help them.

Back
Top Bottom