Hi from Scotland!!

Robin4439

Hatching
Dec 30, 2015
Good afternoon guys!!

Just wanted to say hello and that I'm fairly new to the chickens thing however we have a massive garden and I am looking forward to incubating eggs.

Today was day 21 of my eggs incubation period and I'm absolutely gutted as the small incubator broke last night and when I checked this morning the temp was showing 10".

I was so close to my first lot of chicks.

Absolutely gutted.

I ordered more eggs and received them today however my incubator doesn't arrive until Sunday. Will the eggs be ok left in the packaging until then?

Thanks in advance for your help and have a great New Year's Eve!!

Robin

Did you check the eggs? They start chirping and moving around in the shell about now. They retain a certain amount of heat and the ambient temperature will drop while the internal temp is only down a few degrees. You can place the eggs on a heating pad or even under a light bulb and play around with hitting the sweet spot.

I'm also very new to this but have hatched eggs before. I was spending a lot of time on Murray McMurray hatchery website and they say fertilized eggs need to be put in the incubator within 10 days of receiving them. So maybe your new fertilized eggs will be ok. As long as you have them maybe you should put them in and wait until they can be candled and see what happens

Did you check the eggs? They start chirping and moving around in the shell about now. They retain a certain amount of heat and the ambient temperature will drop while the internal temp is only down a few degrees. You can place the eggs on a heating pad or even under a light bulb and play around with hitting the sweet spot.
That's what I'd do, too! I haven't hatched eggs in an incubator before, but I do follow some of the incubating threads here. Those eggs can be pretty hardy sometimes. There's been people who have posted that they found their eggs in a flooded nest a day before hatch and some of them still made it! Sometimes a young broody will feel all the moving around under her and hear the peeping and abandon the nest at that point. The owners had no idea how long she'd been off them but they were cold, and they rigged a light setup and still managed to get some hatched out. Don't give up!!

And welcome!!!

Hi Robin,
welcome-byc.gif

I've never incubated eggs before but there are a lot of members here that have. You could see what the experienced members on this forum have to add:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Sorry for the broken bator and best wishes for future hatches with your new one.

Back
Top Bottom