Hi from South Africa

Oooh, I do hope you are able to rescue mumma hen also chameleon. Please let us know how you go?
I was forced to move her last night because she was getting wet in the rain. It's now 8am here and she's still on her eggs in the new nest (there were 11). So far so good, I hope she stays
fl.gif

I was forced to move her last night because she was getting wet in the rain. It's now 8am here and she's still on her eggs in the new nest (there were 11). So far so good, I hope she stays
fl.gif

Great news - seems like she's happy enough to remain on the eggs
thumbsup.gif

fl.gif

Woo hoo, that is excellent news!
clap.gif

Kudos again for doing all you are doing to give them a chance at a better life .. now you just have to make friends with the rooster
wink.png

Welcome to BYC. Hope momma will appreciate the comforts of a real home and stay with you. Would love a follow up to know how she does. Sending good hatching vibes your way
jumpy.gif

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely let you know how she does and if her eggs hatch. For now it seems there's too many and she's not quite covering all of them. I'll try to candle them later and remove the ones that have gone bad if she's not too stressed.

I'm so excited this morning, the eggs are hatching!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
So far two are out and two more are busy hatching. I can't see more than that without disturbing the hen but it's looking good so far.

Thanks to everyone for their support and tips (here and on other BYC threads). I'll post a final update with pics when they're all hatched and settled.

I'm so excited this morning, the eggs are hatching!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
So far two are out and two more are busy hatching. I can't see more than that without disturbing the hen but it's looking good so far.

Thanks to everyone for their support and tips (here and on other BYC threads). I'll post a final update with pics when they're all hatched and settled.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

welcome-byc.gif
Bit late sorry but welcome anyway - I'm in Johannesburg nice to have some other Africans to chat too - I have bantams and sebrights together! but they seem to get along.Please let us know how you are doing... and coping in the heat

welcome-byc.gif
Bit late sorry but welcome anyway - I'm in Johannesburg nice to have some other Africans to chat too - I have bantams and sebrights together! but they seem to get along.Please let us know how you are doing... and coping in the heat

Thanks for the welcome! I was in Johannesburg for a long time, I moved away 5 years ago.

And sorry to everyone for the delay. All 11 eggs hatched!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
yesss.gif
The hen left the nest before the last 2 finished hatching and they were getting cold and weak and stopped progressing so I took them in and help them out, using all the great advice I found here on assisted hatching. A few hours later they were hatched, dry, rested and gaining strenght rapidly, so I put them back with their mom and soon I couldn't tell them apart from the others. 3 weeks later all were still alive and thriving. I had to rehome them because I'm going away for a couple of weeks and can't get anyone to watch them while I'm away, but they all went together to a good home.

It's really hard to get a photo of 11 busy chicks, here they are with mom at almost 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom