Hi from Tasmania.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chooklearner, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Chooklearner

Chooklearner New Egg

Jan 10, 2014
    I am very new at keeping chickens, having only acquired a small flock of 8 ladies 3 weeks ago. They are older birds leghorns and reds. Things have been great until 2 or 3 days ago, when I noticed a red with a very dirty backside, she was also lethargic with very runny poo . After reading lots of information on your site, I have isolated her, given her yogurt, probiotics and a bath! Your site is great source of information. Her backside did not appear red or inflamed and I could not find any mites etc. Not sure what to do next, is it safe to bath her regularly? The girls have layer pellets, some seeds (prepared) and lots of kitchen scaps. As we have an accommodation cottage, we thought having chickens would be great for families and their children to experience hens and egg collection, however, I am not sure whether the girls had been fed by guests and if so, what they have had. Could this have caused the problem? Thanks for all the help so far. I would love more advice. Sue

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright and [​IMG] great to have you onboard [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sounds like you did your reading good job [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might want to wash that backside with some no tears shampoo [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might want to try a good hardboiled egg pealed and mashed then serve [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

3. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
  4. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome!

I hope your hen feels better.

5. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Sounds like you are on the right track. With regard to the kitchen scraps, too much spinach gives my flock runny poos. You may want to discontinue the scraps until the condition clears.

Welcome to BYC.

6. Chooklearner

Chooklearner New Egg

Jan 10, 2014
    Thanks, will see how we go tomorrow. Thanks for your help

7. RowdyReptile

RowdyReptile Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Welcome to BYC!! :yiipchick

I agree and think that kitchen scraps may be the culprit. I hope your hen feels better soon.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

A red and dirty backside sounds like Vent Gleet. A fungal infection that starts at the vent. It causes the vent area and butt to become very red and swollen. Eventually this fungal infection gets up into the intestinal tract and or oviduct. Lots of nasty diarrhea, sticking to the butt feathers. You can use vaginal cream on her vent area to help combat the yeast/fungal infection. Apply it daily. Use probiotics in the feed and even some Apple Cider Vinegar in the water. Both of these will help with the internal infection. Apple Cider Vinegar, (ACV) is used 2 Tablespoons per gallon of water changed daily. Use it for a week or two and it should help clear this up. If you don't have any probiotics to add, continue giving plain yogurt.

Good luck with your baby and enjoy BYC!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 Welcome to BYC.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by