Hi from Texas

lispnik

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
Hi I'm new to chickens. BYC is certainly a great resource!

For me it all started when we saw a few days old chick crossing a busy street. We stopped to rescue it from traffic and now we have two "Cochicanaus" (Cochin/Americanau cross -- each about a month old) and our rescue chicken which is about 2 months old, all-white and according to some, a female. I built the coop for them. It's on My BYC Page. It was based on the designs I saw in the coop photo sections.

so, have you figured out why it was crossing the road?
Welcome to BYC!
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from TX also!

Your coop looks great. IDK if anyone has told you, but your rescue chicken is a CornishX keep her on a restricted diet or she won't live very long. They are a meat breed and grow very quickly. They don't have a long life span as they are meant to mature in about 8 weeks. Unsure of the gender though.

Quote:
Wow thanks for the quick identification! When you write keep her on a restricted diet, do you mean content of diet or amount of feed eaten? At the moment we are feeding them an organic chicken development feed from a local feed store which is based on grains as far as I can tell.

Update: Added pics of Zsa Zsa and Gabor (our Cochicanaus) to the My BYC Page.

I mean in amount of feed eaten. The amount of protein in the feed has a something to do with it also, but chicken grower is fine. I used to raise them for 4-h and had some that were over achievers and others that barely grew. How old is she now? Another member on here has some CornishX that she has raised to laying age, but I cannot recall her name. If you search CornishX you can find out a lot of info about them especially in the meat bird forum.

Ok well just keep her feed limited and keep an eye on her growth. You want her to grow just not so fast she has leg problems. Good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom