Hi from the Eastern Shore of Md!

4mygirls

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Eastern Shore, Md
Hi Everyone!
I am new to Backyard Chickens as a member but have used the website for help and answers to questions many times. We have had chickens for quite a few years now. I do have one question...how do you keep your chickens from crossing the road? We have 6 acres of woods and property for them to scratch around on but some of our girls decide to cross the road. The real rebels, our white austras, entice the others to follow who don't normally cross the road - we lost a black austra just this week because of them. We have been chasing them back with a pole and bag on the end, but they continue to cross the road. We only let them out to meander and scratch for a couple of hours a day.
barnie.gif
Help!

First
welcome-byc.gif
Well I don't know how your property is laid out. I had a similar problem, they would go to the neighbors. I put up a fence, all you need is that green snow fence from menards. Its 100' long and 48'' tall only $30 a roll. light weight stakes to hold it up and you can move it easily. I have a 6', 200' long stockade fence between the neighbors and us but they would walk alllllll the way down and around
th.gif
So I put that green snow fence up to keep them where I needed. I have heavy breeds so they can't fly over. They are never satisfied with their roaming area!! Crazy chickens!!

images

I have no idea!
tongue.png
I keep my girls corralled in, so I have never encountered this issue. But I do wish you luck in figuring it out.

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You will probably have to fence them in somehow, if you don't want to do regular fencing or that plastic, you could try electric fence or movable poultry netting.

Back
Top Bottom