Hi From The Hamptons

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HappyHealthy, Aug 22, 2014.

1. HappyHealthy

HappyHealthy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    The Hamptons
    First timer of 6 buff Orpington hens. I got them when they were 1 week and now they are 8 months and sleep in barn at night. During the day they free roam my yard, eating bugs, grass, wild bird seeds & their own egg shells ( eggshells are their fav thing to eat & "fight "over them).

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Oh I LOVE buff orps!!!!!! They are my favorite breed!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

That's a good thing that they love eggshells. That means they are getting calcium into their bodies to produce eggs[​IMG]

Enjoy your orps and welcome to our flock!

3. HappyHealthy

Aug 22, 2014
    The Hamptons
    Thank you Sarah. I do too!! Did not know what to expect but mine are very talk active & smart. They recognize us ( my family) individually: my son always pick them so when he approaches they automatically squat down & sit still. With me they all come running & follow me. My ex husband they ignore ( my ex husband IS a wonderful person & animal lover). :)

4. Denwendairy

Denwendairy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Welcome to BYC!
    I also have Buff Orpingtons but mine are a bit younger. My favourite, Olivia, will jump on my lap and shoulder looking for treats!
    Enjoy your time on BYC, lots to learn here!

1 person likes this.
  5. HappyHealthy

Aug 22, 2014
    The Hamptons
    Thank you! I love the color on yours. The stripes are fantastic!!!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Mine squat, sit and beg to be held. I have one, Gracie, who loves nothing more than to sit on my lap and preen my hair!:) I love me buff orps!!

7. Louly

Louly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Aizenay Vendée FRANCE
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Louly

Louly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Aizenay Vendée FRANCE
    Welcome to BYC !

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They are a beautiful breed - my friend had Holly but, sadly she morphed into Toby and had to find a new home. Toby used to sit on her shoe and liked her to swing her foot back and forth.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome. Glad you decided to join our flock. Buff orpingtons are a wonderful breed. I have 4 of them currently in my flock; very beautiful, friendly & gentle, & good layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your BOs.

11. HappyHealthy

Aug 22, 2014
    The Hamptons
    Thank you! Yes they r such a joy for my family. I do have a issue: the chickens are kept in a nice barn that is left open so they can go in and out as they please during the entire day. The free roam our yard doing the day and although we put fake eggs in their nesting boxes before and after they started laying at 5-6 months as a hint to lay their eggs in the nesting boxes , only some of our buff use the nesting boxes ( others.. We don't know WHO) lay their eggs in very smart hiding places: the huge rosebushes that had my ex bleed trying to get those eggs out. Ouch! And under extra yard chairs we had hidden away in a far away area of the yard. It is not like it's just an egg or two outside. It's between 12 and 6 in each pile!! Inside the barn is 4-5 eggs on a daily basis and I see 2-3 hens nesting each day. It's a chicken mystery! :) they totally look alike but their eggs vary in brown shades ( some are slightly lighter than othes) and some are glossy and others are matted. I'm sure there are individual hens laying individual shades but do not know which as all of my buffs look alike :)

I am sure this is common that they lay outside when they roam free as my grand mother had the same issue w her free roam chickens. I tried putting them in the barn at a time where the chickens go inside the barn during the day to lay eggs. This is usually around 12-3 pm. Doing this has not solved the issue.

They are smart too .. every time I find their hiding spot, they or she just find a new hiding place. She or they are starting to find other areas of the barn which is impossible to get to (unless you are a chicken.. ), so any experience w this? :) thanks. Ps one is broody. I removed her eggs but she still sits in her nest box 24 hours a day w out leaving the nest box unless I carry her out in the yard . Any experience w this is also appreciated :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by