Hi from the Sonoran Desert

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GreenDiva, Apr 14, 2012.

1. GreenDiva

GreenDiva New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi Folks!

I live in Tucson, AZ with 5 feathered divas aka "the goddesses" (2 buffs, 2 americanas, 1 austrolorpe) and 3 furry cat children (gray tabby, tortie calico, & a tuxedo). They are all extremely spoiled, ungrateful, and never clean up after themselves, sorta like teenagers.
    [​IMG] My feathered kids turn 4 on Earth day. (ahhh they grow up so fast....) They are all named after goddesses because I felt it was appropriate given the day they were born...er..hatched ;-). Artemis (the talker), Annapurna (the whiner), Demeter (the observer), Persephone (the lap chicken) & Isis ("Miss boundaries"). I have always been a city girl (when I lived in FL) but when I moved here to Tucson 5 yrs ago I became Miss Green Acres. So I am coming to terms with being a closet farmer. Ironically, it runs in my family on both sides. I'm just reclaiming and embracing my heritage:)

I am hoping to expand my brood after I finish upgrading my coop because the girls are starting to slow in production which of course is normal. I have recently moved to the heart of downtown and had to leave my coop behind at my old place. Right now they are in a salvaged coop that I threw together and I am looking for some easy and inexpensive plans to get them into something better and safer since there are raccoons moving into the city more and more. Not too mention coyotes. Being downtown with many feral dogs and cats I haven't had a problem thus far with predators (knock on wood). But I would rather be safe than sorry. Especially since I want to get more. So far Gallo del Cielo has the best coop (and feeder) I have seen that is Sonoran desert adapted. Closed coops aren't the best idea here because of the extreme heat. They are completely free range except at night when I lock them up. I also raise them on organic feed and organic veggies I grow in my garden or I get from the CSA.

In Tucson we are lucky to have City Chicken Coop tours and I just joined a chicken co-op called Zen Hens where we pool are eggs together and sell them at the Food Co-op, and a few farmers' markets. We also all pitch in and share the costs of feed. So you can say that Tucson is part of the backyard chicken revolution!

I am a certified permaculturist, organic/urban gardener & worm farmer. I hope to get some rabbits, goats, alpacas, and whatever else I can get my hands on, some day. Of course, I also want a nice piece of land to go with all of my future farming dreams[​IMG]. I am also a grad student, so I better keep focused on my studies and dream of farming after I graduate.

It's so exciting to see just how many people are part of this group.

Anyways, it's nice to meet and commune with kindred spirits!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck with your chickens and your education. :thumbsup

6. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

7. pimachickens

pimachickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson
    Hi and welcome! I am also in Tucson.

I saw you post in the AZ thread...feel free to come back and hang out. There are a lot of us here in the desert, and it is a very friendly group!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome from Louisiana! [​IMG]

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011