Hi from the top end of Australia

debidoesnt

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2022
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I have been involved with chickens when I was young but in the last 6 years I decided to have flock of my own.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?
Polish, sussex, aracona, orpington, belgian duccle, australorp and a couple of mixed ones.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Great company when hubby is working away and we are 2 hours from the nearest town so it is also a great supply of eggs (or will be when the girls are old enough to lay).

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Bag making, quilting and fishing.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Just hubby and I here now. Kids all grown so we ran away from home and moved 3500 kilometers away. I have the chickens, 12 guinea fowl and 2 dogs. We recently got rid of 2 goats once they discovered they could climb over the covered section of the chicken run and get into my veggie patch. I am retired so it is nice to have some noise when I am here on my own. On 50 acres with no neighbours either side. Loving the peace at 'Upson Downs'.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC on a google search but was planning on getting rid of my chickens due to health reasons. Once I realised that was a bad idea and kept them I decided to join.

"Upson Downs" sounds like a great place! Congrats on running away from home and assembling an interesting menagerie.

Welcome to BYC; I hope we will be a place where you can hang out and enjoy being part of the community.

BTW, if you some day decide you want to have goats again -- which is really why I moved to the country -- fainting goats are by far the least likely to climb over fences or onto anything else. With the exception of one Very Bad Wether (who would scale a dead tree and ascend to the top of the old metal-roofed chicken coop), none of my miniature fainters ever went climbing.

It's good to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom