Hi from tiny yard in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by callmecordelia2, Nov 9, 2011.

1. callmecordelia2

callmecordelia2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Hi.I'm a new member with a small flock in a tiny backyard in Massachusetts. We have had various kinds of chickens, of which Buff Orpingtons are my favorite. But, sadly, we recently had to slaughter our original, "elderly" flock to make way for some new chicks. A predator (we think a skunk) killed 5 of the 7 Buff Brahmas we purchased in the spring, and the two that were left were roosters! As the "sole survivors," they became close buddies. But the neighbors did not appreciate the 5 a.m. wake-up calls, so we have them away to friends with a farm. By this time it was nearly October, and no replacements were available locally, so I ordered 6 Barred Rock bantam hen chicks online for a hefty fee-- couldn't disappoint the kids!--and now, 6 weeks after arrival, I am trying to figure out how to transition them outside to our cold New England climate. They are in a box in my LIVING ROOM!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] from Indiana. Good luck with your transition! Especially since they are bantams, try to find ways to gradually wean them away from heat... If you have a garage, that's one good way. If not, may a low wattage bulb in the coop for a week or two for night...???

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Best of luck with your new chickens!

[​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Welcome from Louisiana. [​IMG]

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello and welcome to BYC from Ohio!

8. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Good luck glad you are here! Those babies will do great just gradually get them cooler so they don't get shocked!

9. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Welcome from Tampa FLA.....good luck with the transition!!!

10. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] From North Texas [​IMG] So glad you joined us [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by