Hi from Winfield :) Looking for a LGD

sunflowerparrot

Songster
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Winfield, KS
I was geared to this thread after asking about getting a dog to help protect my country animals. I'm not wanting to actually spend a lot of money on a purebred, but would like some information, thoughts, advice, etc about what kind of dog I should get. I have chickens and kittens at the moment. Will expand in the next year to a goat, rabbits and free range chickens. I don't want a huge dog.. will not have a fenced area (have 27 acres.. with water), dog will not be an indoor dog or come in at all.. will have to "fend" for itself outside.. but I will feed/water daily.

Suggestions? Know anyone with puppies.. what is a good breed for what I'm looking for.. etc :) Thanks!

My best dog ever is a mutt. A Pit Bull/Lab mix. He is the best dog ever. He chased a coyote for 2 miles because it was threatening our chickens. He just showed up at our house once and has been with us ever since. I have never seen a dog that is as protective as him.

My aunt's, grandparents, and pretty much all purebred dogs I have seen are so, so, so, dumb I cannot believe. To get specific bloodlines they are often inbred, which can lead to stupidity and health problems.

I recommend finding a dog that you can really connect with. Go to a shelter. Dogs there have often have bad pasts, and, unfortunately, are desperate for love. When they find someone who truly loves them they love them back and are wonderfully loyal animals. All of the good dogs I have met are rescue dogs, plus, you are helping support local shelters, which always need as much help as they can get.

That is just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom