Hi from Yelm, WA

gargamela

Hatching
May 12, 2015
Yelm WA
Hello- I've learned so much from this website already I decided to join. I appreciate all the wonderful advice I've been reading. I'm new to chickens, we bought 12 chicks about 3 weeks ago. We have 3 Buff Orphingtons, 3 Barred Rocks, and 6 Americauna chicks. We bought them from our local feed store. I love birds and I'm already loving my chickens.
We have the chicks in a "kiddie pool" right now surrounded by chicken wire. We bought a cedar coop from a local guy who builds them who did an amazing job for much less than most store bought coops. We are going to transition them to our outside run this weekend when they will be 4 weeks. We have a 6 foot tall fence we will be keeping them in, an area that is pretty big for them to roam around in, then at night we will be keeping them in an enclosed run. Our weather here is pretty even, in the winter it can freeze, but it rarely snows.
I was told by a co-worker to expect 40-50% of my chicks to die because they are not hardy animals. I bought a bunch so I would have some left. So far, none of them have died and so we have more than we wanted :)
Thank you for letting me be a part of this group!

2 1/2 weeks old

Welcome to BYC !!
I think you were told incorrectly. Usually hatching eggs 50% don't hatch. With live chicks you may only have 1 or 2 die unless you have some kind of major problem. In the winter I received a batch of chicks during a winter storm and we had no power. We kept the gas stove on and put the brooder in the kitchen. Couldn't use the heat lamp and only 3 died. Chickens are pretty hardy.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too have to agree that you may lose some chicks but 50% of them is high. It is true some are just not destined to make to weakness or a difficult hatch. Good husbandry and care of your chicks after hatch and you should not have a lot of losses. You have done a fantastic job of caring for your chicks and that shows as you have not had any losses, well done!!

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyine here to help and very friendly.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Generally chicks are kept in the brooder with heat lamp until they are fully feathered out - about 6-8 weeks old. I have no idea what your temps are like right now. They won't fly over a 6 ft. fence YET, but, raptors and other preds can get in to them. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Good morning and welcome to BYC!

It sounds like you're taking good care of your chickie flock and that is a nice looking coop you have for them.

Wishing you all the best with your birds, nice to have you join us!

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. :frow

Hi...I'm from Yelm as well. Did you get your chicks from Del's? Let me know if you would like to rehome a cockerel. It looks like I got all pullets and need a Rooster for my girls

I did get them from Dels. I still don't know what the sex of my chicks are, but if I get more than one rooster I'll let you know :)

Back
Top Bottom