Hi! Glad to have found y'all

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by texasreb, May 18, 2008.

1. texasreb

texasreb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    I've been raising chickens for about 3 years now. My little backyard flock consists of one Buckeye Rooster, 5 Buckeye hens, 9 Easter Egger hens and one guinea hen (I guess it's a hen). The EE's are about 3 years old and the Buckeye's are about 2 y/o. I get about 9-12 eggs a day from my girls.

I've probably done more things wrong than right, but my flock seems happy and healthy. They get free fed a 16% lay pellet and a daily scattering of scratch grains. They also get fruit and veggie scraps from the house as well as bread--they adore tortillas and will come through the doggie door into my house to beg for a scrap.

If I'm doing anything majorly wrong, let me know! Any and all advice is appreciated. I'll post some pictures in a bit!

I just ordered 25 Welsummer chicks to be delivered soon. My little flock can't keep up with demand. I have two buyers that want 10 dozen eggs a week! I also have my neighbors and friends to supply with eggs.

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Welcome texasreb

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

5. RayP

RayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Gainesville Florida
    If your chickens appear to happy and heathy they probably are so you are doing OK, see the chicken treats section for a list of good treats to feed and welcome to the best forum on the web, (my opinion).[​IMG]

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Welcome texasreb, sounds to me like you are doing a great job and have yourself a nice little flock!

7. texasreb

May 18, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome! I think I'm going to learn a lot here (and have fun while I'm doing it!).

Without further ado....my chickens

Bucky (original, I know), the Buckeye Rooster with a EE hen:
    [​IMG]

Chickens in the yard after the mower went through:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Their coop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's about it. They are a lot of fun, more like pets than livestock.

8. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Welcome
    You just found us and already your getting more chickens can you say "addiction"[​IMG]
    What part of Texas? Centerville here 1/2 way between Houston and Dallas on I45

9. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    [​IMG] You should find the Texas Thread and introduce yourself to all us Texans here! What part are you from? San Antonio here! [​IMG] Your chickens are gorgeous! Glad you found the site....but beware...your chicken addiction will sky rocket to lordy knows where! lol. [​IMG]

10. texasreb

May 18, 2008
    Thanks again for the welcome and compliments! I live just east of Austin off of US Hwy 290E in the big metropolis of Manor (kidding, but just a little--Manor is growing).

I found the Texas thread and listed my town, not sure what else I'm supposed to do in that! Nice to see so many Texans on here. I'm sure I'll be picking your brains before too long!

Last edited: May 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by