Hi! Glad to have found y'all

welcome-byc.gif

I'd say you're doing everything right--those look like some happy chickens!! Check out those digs!!

Welcome!

Looks and sounds like you are doing all right, Reb.
Welcome aboard!

9-12 eggs/day from 14 hens is a good number. Be prepped for that to slow as summer comes, then a rush again and then the winter slowdon.

If you have customers willing to pay CASH - well, you might want to look into the idea of artificial winter lighting, if you havent already. Eggs are seasonal as you must know after 3 years, and it takes careful planning to keep a steady flow going all year. But you dont want to miss out on the chance for someone to give you tax-free money, so go to it!

Youre planning a late flock, so you've got the notion of flock staggering down. Thats smart!
I'm curious, though. Why Welsummers? A good laying strain, even a hybrid, might be steadier. Those darker brown Wellsummer eggs may also be a turn off to your customers.

But heck, I dunno anything. All in all, I'd say youre doing great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! I'm glad I found you, too!
wink.png

How do you like your Buckeyes? I live way up north in Michigan and have been considering Buckeyes because of their tiny combs. Are they really friendly and are they good foragers?

elderoo,

We chose the Welsummers specifically for their dark brown eggs! Also, they just happened to be the only dark brown layers that we could find right now--we were considering Marans and a few others as well but they weren't available. Austin is a very organic and green community and the more "natural" the eggs look, the better they are received. People have actually asked us if we had "browner" eggs. Soon we shall! After they get up and running, we plan to add 25 more hens. We're not sure what kind. I'd like part of them to be replacement EE's. Hubby wants to Black Giants and some Langashans because he likes them!

swampducks

We like the buckeyes! They are very friendly and they make funny noises--kinda growling, dinosaur-like noises! Even the rooster is friendly. They aren't quite the layers that the EE's are. The hens are a pretty nut brown color and the rooster is a redder brown with dark greenish-black tail feathers. He is HUGE! The hens aren't exactly petite either.

I forgot to respond to the forager question. They seem to be adequate foragers. They are certainly bold--they stay out later than the EE's and they venture out of the yard independently. I will often find one or more way out alone in the open pasture without much fear for their safety.

Back
Top Bottom