Hi Guys New Here with a few quick ?s

marshhomestead

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Yakima WA
Well we have done it... we decided to start our flock!!!!!
Now I just contacted the local Coastal farm and ranch place and since we are at the tale end of the Chick season they only have two Breeds available of pullets.... Rhode Island Reds and Black Sexlinks Now I am only allowed 4 Hens because I am in the city.

The Rhode Islands are a definite... but I want a different breed that is just for the purpose of egg laying and I have heard Black Sexlinks would fit that bill but they are supposed to be Loud????

Is that true? and if so I might have some trouble with some people who might get nasty with me called neighbors.... So my question ultimately is.... what do you all think... just skip the sexlinks or get them both????
jumpy.gif
idunno.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

All chickens make noise.... some more than others. I have two marans who cause quite a stir and get all my ladies going if I interrupt them before they finish laying. On the other hand I have a rooster that I can sneeze louder than he crows. If you are willing to cull them if they do get noisy then I would say go for it. Otherwise I would wait , people on this site often have birds for sale later or eggs to hatch. My children have named our ladies and 3 boys so I would have a tough time culling them at this point.
Good luck and welcome to the chicken addiction

We intend to cull. But I am wanting to have on breed of bird be my Egg only birds and one be egg/ meat bird.
yesss.gif
I think it will be better to focus on the loud and Quiet! thanks!

We intend to cull. But I am wanting to have on breed of bird be my Egg only birds and one be egg/ meat bird.
yesss.gif
I think it will be better to focus on the loud and Quiet! thanks!
If you want a top meat bird, hands down! Best choice
White Dorkings from Yellow House Farm. http://www.yellowhousefarmnh.com/content/865
Joseph is a very knowledgeable and helpful person.
He really knows what he is doing. His Dorkings carry
so much meat! Nice combination, RIR and White Dorkings.
Both old breeds with rich histories. The Dorking is a classic meat breed. It lays eggs but not like a RIR.
I see you can only have 4 hens. How about an Orpington? Bought from a top breeder, they flesh out well, lay a lot of eggs and are good eating birds. I know Dragonlady has started birds available now. She has been in poultry over 50 yrs. and her Buff Orpingtons are just stunning birds. Gentle, friendly, lay great and taste wonderful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/120608/thedragonlady
If she is sold out, she can tell you where to get quality Orps.
That would be my suggestion since your flock is so small. If you are forced to have a small flock by the city, you might as well have the best.
Best Regards,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom