hi guys new to forum

sazzinchoocki

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Hey guys ( chicken enthusiasts )just gotten my first ever chicken ex battery chooki her name is and she is about three years old just wondering could anyone tell me she talks soo much and she seems to do this long baaaaawww baaaaaw almost whenever you go over to talk to her or she spots you and runs over chatting away does this sound like a happy chicken and how do you determine the difference between a happy noise and angry is there a difference! ?

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
to BYC from Kansas!
frow.gif

Good for you! I've always wanted to rescue some ex-batts. :)

Sounds like she's just chatty. I have a hen that does that. Especially if she found something cool that I need to see.
roll.png

Some basic chicken noises are:

Laying Cackle: Lots of hens will announce when they lay an egg. Usually it goes on WAY longer than is necessary, and will cause any other chickens to start talking too. Although some hens are more "modest" and don't have to announce when they lay an egg. They'll just walk away like nothing ever happened.

Singing: This is what happy chickens do. It can be short clucks or more drawn out. It's thought to be a form of self-amusement. Like a human who hums while doing chores. This is probably what your hen is doing.

Contentment Call: This is a short low-pitched call that chickens use when they are moving around or foraging. Most likely it is just to keep in touch with each other.

Food Call: A short, rapidly repeated "tuck tuck tuck" noise roosters and mama hens use when they find food.

Danger Call: Roosters (mostly) and sometimes hens will use this when they see a flying object. They will tilt their head to the sky and let out a low "buuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrr" noise.

Broody Hiss/Growl: These are really the only "angry noises". These sounds should be pretty easy to identify when you hear it. The hiss is just that, a hissing noise. The growl is more of a loud moaning sound. Both are sometimes used when the hen feels threatened, but mostly when you invade a broody hen's nest.

There are really no angry noises except the broody hiss and growl. It sounds like you just have a happy talkative hen. :)

Hope this helps!

~~Ms.B :)

It certainly does help I have heard the long I have layed an egg but no egg she is truly a time waster at the best of times. Haven't heard the growl although iv figured when she is hungry will sit at the door and whine with her mouth open seriously funny! She is super friendly just trying to get her to pick food out of my hand she's done it twice w caution and ended up grabbing my finger hehehe

It is always so nice when they run up to greet you, even if it is because you are the source of food. Have you only got the one chicken? They are a flock animal, so perhaps the talking is because you're the only one she has to talk to.
Sometime mine just sing for no reason. Sometimes they sing because it is windy. They are not beautiful songbirds. Happy, healthy birds sing and talk to you. Enjoy.
smile.png

Yes just the one hiiimh she has just started today pecking me wont if it will let me upload this is what I just captured on camera someone is grumpy maybe for about five mins jus pecking at the door finally to run away almost in a high tone hum! What is she doing

Probably lonely. Chickens are group animals.Not loners as some animals are.Prime example of why they say "Safety in numbers"

They cant bite well to defend themself or fly well so they only have each other watching for predators so they can run and hide..
One can forage as another may see something dangerous and warn the others.
With one ...that cant happen for her
She probably feels sort of vunerable all alone outside. Wants a friend and doesnt have one so YOU are IT!!! Wants to be with you for safety and friendship.They stick together like glue ... a lot!
Mine came to me as babies together. Now at 7 months old if one even goes in the wrong coop for the night the others are making a worried sound.

The first egg one was going to lay she kept going in the coop which had no nest and clucking loudly and the other 2 of her breed followed her in to sit with her!!! Funny ...they never went in during the day before,.
Guess they werent sure why all the loud clucking and bwok bwoking and were worried or so it seemed.

Think i would get her at least one friend. My opinion anyway.GOOD LUCK!!!

Yes just the one hiiimh she has just started today pecking me wont if it will let me upload this is what I just captured on camera someone is grumpy maybe for about five mins jus pecking at the door finally to run away almost in a high tone hum! What is she doing

She needs a friend. Even just one more would help. Chickens are definitely flock animals. :)

Yeah im thinking def needs a little buddy she does seem rather happy dashing about the gardens by herself and is learning to trust me hand feeding has begun. Thanks guys for all the advice im still ametauer at chickens but I love and I think until we get another one she shall get mummmys extra special attention

Back
Top Bottom