Hi, heres my (long) story...

chickdust

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
East Petersburg PA
My name is Jason. I live in East Petersburg, Lancaster County, PA. My wife and I wanted to buy chickens so our young daughters could see how eggs get to the store. I had no experience in it so dove in head first not knowing a thing. Through this site and various others and a book, I now know enough to be dangerous. I bought 6 golden comets that day and did all the things I was told. I moved them to a 4'x3'x2' (12 sq ft) at about 4-5 weeks of age. Then the problems started. PECKING! To the point of blood. I was desperate and saw here that tea tree oil would work. WRONG! Only after I sprayed them did I find out this was toxic and ended up killing 5 of the six birds. So the lone bird needs friends and after a week of phone calls I found 2 birds. At this time I've seen and read enough to know what I would like to try, so I got a barred rock and a buff orpington chick today. In two weeks I will get an EE. So here I am today with all new problems. The three of them are in a 4'x3'x2' box seperated by a chicken wire divider. The oldest bird is about 7 weeks and the 2 chicks are @ a week old. I kept the divider in there for about 4 hours and removed it. They all went about pecking each other immediatly. I put the divider back in. Now my question is; Is the older one going to be fine with the heat lamp that is by the chicks because she was in the dark at night now that she was feathered? When should I allow them to be together? and when I get the EE will it be another problem again? And what about the Pecking!? The chicken tractor I'm building will be 20 sq ft inside and 60 sq ft+ outside in the run. I think this is enough for 4 birds but getting them to the age to be outside is driving me crazy!!!Sorry about the pics still figuring this particular forum out.

Hi && Welcome!!!
wee.gif

Aww what cuties!

Back
Top Bottom