Hi hi from Oregon!

Usagi

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 27, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Hello chicken enthusiasts!

I'm just joining up here after lurking for a few months because I finally got the ok, the time, the money, and the space for some chickens. I've been reading a ton, planning on making a dedicated chicken binder with a calendar/tasks/costs/etc soon, and building a brooder & coop here in February.

I've got a couple of chicken breeds that are my "want list", and now I'm trying to find the beat way to get them. Eggs vs chicks (imprinting vs easier for me), where, when, etc.

So far silkies are a must. I want them for their nurturing personalities. Seem like the perfect little nanny bird. Ameraucanas have caught my and my partner's eye, of course, as well as the Easter Eggers. Not sure between the two.

Other than that, this Wyandotte variety that's inky black with white has caught my eye.
I was thinking I would like 3 birds types. The silkies for their personality and broodyness, some to lay colorful eggs (Easter Eggers?), and then some who are just normal egg layers with maybe a higher production. I'm under the impression that fancy colored egg layers tend to lay a few less per week.

Anyway. That's why I need to go read some more. Look forward to all the assistance. I just hope people here are patient and don't mind me asking a lot of specific questions. It's the mild autism. I notice every detail and anything new with uncharted territory could be a danger. You would all probably chuckle at the amount of stress I've put into growing lettuce. :p

Oh, and I should mention that I'm very very good with animals. Each one is just a new species with a new language to learn, and languages are exceptionally easy for me. I've successfully had happy and healthy, dogs, cats, lizards, geckos, snakes, parakeets, cockatiels, a conure bird, a hedgehog, guinea pig, hamsters,rats, fish, rabbits...and I think that's all the pets I have had. A circus is pretty normal at my house. I even have a very sweet and docile tabby named Hanasu right now and 4 rats. No incidents whatsoever.

Last edited:
Hello :frow Welcome to BYC and Happy Holidays! Check out the BYC Breeds section, there are member reviews on a lot of breeds. If you do a search by breed name / thread most breeds have a thread in the Breed, Genetics and Showing section. Check out your state thread in the Where Am I Where Are You forum also, you might be able to find local sources for the breeds you are interested in. I like the Henderson chicken breed chart, it compares a lot of common breeds. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#j and Feathersite has tons of pictures http://feathersite.com/

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I second the recommendation for the Henderson chicken chart.

Back
Top Bottom