Hi, I’m new here …

slmc

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2022
Husband and I moved to Georgia from Florida, bought 10 acres and have 1 Rhode Island Red chicken who has just started to lay eggs. So excited and can’t wait learn more about country life with chickens. Oh yea, we are also renovating our 1870 farmhouse. The photo is our last harvest from the garden and those first few eggs.

Attachments

• 4AE494F3-2F6D-4C09-848A-1E49EA6C90E0.jpeg
    4AE494F3-2F6D-4C09-848A-1E49EA6C90E0.jpeg
    837.8 KB · Views: 2
Congrats on the move, the harvest, first eggs and the renovation! I have lived in my 1915 farmhouse for more than a decade, and I am convinced the upgrades and repairs will NEVER be done.

Everyone will encourage you to add more chickens to keep your Rhode Island Red company. That is a good idea, but keep in mind that she may not immediately appreciate the effort. Even a flock creature sometimes resists newcomers on their turf. There is plenty of advice on this forum on how to integrate new birds to your flock (of one). OCCASIONALLY, there is a chicken who simply doesn't want to be part of a group (which explains my house chicken), but they generally welcome the company.

It's good to meet you; welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom