Hi! I am new and have a problem please help

peb1976

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 1, 2009
My name is Peggy Sue and I live in Virginia with my husband of 31 years. We have raised three children and now have time to work on the farm we purchased from his parents. Eighty acres, most of it is in a tree farm but we have 20 acres of pastures. We are in the process of fencing for meat goats and alpacas. We already have our chicken house and six hens. Four leghorns (white eggs) and 2 sex-links (brown eggs). I am not a chicken expert by any means, but my husband raised them as a kid.

We have been getting eggs for four months now and we just started noticing the last month or so, a smell from the cooked eggs. It smells like manure when they are cooked. Does anyone else have this problem? My daughter sells our eggs to the ladies she works with and I am afraid they will notice and stop buying them. Plus we can't eat them anymore the smell is sickening and we can't bring ourselves to eat them.

We feed them laying mash, scratch and have oyster shells available.
YourLinkGoesHere bad smell in cooked eggsYourLinkGoesHere feces smell

welcome-byc.gif

Have you changed their feed brand recently? All I can think of off the top of my comb err head.

peb1976
welcome-byc.gif

Bummer on the smell... the first thought that comes to my mind is diet - They say the feeding chickens onions can make their eggs taste funny - so I am wondering about diet changes - have any of the hens possibly found an unfortunate food source? I did a quick search for your question on google - and believe it or not - I found something on fresh eggs smelling like manure! They say diet..

http://www.chow.com/blog/tag/smell

Good luck on this!!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I would definitely look around where they hang out, and also consider if they get food scraps as a supplement.

Good luck, and
welcome-byc.gif
!

Edited for spelling!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Glad to have you here!
smile.png
This is a very friendly and helpful community; it's so nice to see that you're already getting some great suggestions to help you with your question!

You might want to create a new thread about your problem in the "Managing Your Flock" section of the forum, too.
smile.png

I'm agreeing with the others here that it's probably diet-related.

Back
Top Bottom