Hi. I am new to chickens. I got two buff colored “Americana” from the feed store which I’ve come to understand are Easter eggers. Since they are bot

IVRN

Songster
Feb 27, 2021
Northern California
Hi. I am new to hens. I got two “Americanas” from the feed store which I’ve come to understand are Easter Eggers. They are both a blonde color similar to one another. One just started laying and a beautiful blue egg! My question is, since they are the same color
will i also get blue eggs from her? Or is there some hope for an olive or green tint? I’m really hoping to add a green hue to my basket as I currently have two full breed French black copper marans and a Welsummer to add the dark browns My second EE should start laying within the next few weeks and I will know for sure but I’ve been curious all along as to of their very similar feathers and coming from the same place means the eggs will be the same color as each other Thank you !
FFD4E395-7783-4B2D-B823-F3D2DAE6865F.jpeg

Thank you!!! I was about to get a green layer because the place I got them said they are Ameraucana so I assumed they would all lay blue. Then someone set me straight that they are actually Easter eggers. This might be a dumb question but is there a “most common” color that Easter eggers lay? I feel lucky I got the nice blue because my others are tan layers and I guess she could have been as well. My other lady hasn’t started laying yet. The suspense is killing me! Lol. But I won’t go out and get a green layer just yet til I know :)

I think blue is probably the most common color, though since each hatchery probably uses their own proprietary combination of parentage in their EEs, it might be difficult to calculate it out. I've had 3 EEs so far and all have laid a pale blue.

I did get an OE specifically for green eggs but even then there's a chance of brown eggs as well, and the shade of green will vary based on what the parentage of the birds are.

Thank you so much! There is sooo much to understand about chickens it is fascinating to me. I recently reached out to people about Olive eggers and even a Swedish Isbar to get green eggs and the owner of Alchemist Farm near me schooled me that even the Isbar isn’t a sure thing when it comes to green. I can see how people who want egg colors end up with so many chickens!!! It’s addicting. I only have room for two more hens in my hen house so I’m really trying to suss out how to best get some greens!

Hi. I am new to hens. I got two “Americanas” from the feed store which I’ve come to understand are Easter Eggers. They are both a blonde color similar to one another. One just started laying and a beautiful blue egg! My question is, since they are the same color
will i also get blue eggs from her? Or is there some hope for an olive or green tint? I’m really hoping to add a green hue to my basket as I currently have two full breed French black copper marans and a Welsummer to add the dark browns My second EE should start laying within the next few weeks and I will know for sure but I’ve been curious all along as to of their very similar feathers and coming from the same place means the eggs will be the same color as each other Thank you ! View attachment 2548124
Pretty!! Can I see a picture of them!! I really wanna know you pretty the look!!

Your blue eggs are beautiful! I have 2 Easter Eggers from Hoover Hatchery, one lays a pale green egg and the other lays a pale tan egg. I also have 3 "Olive Eggers" (not sure what hatchery they are from) 1 lays a dark speckled olive egg, 1 lays a dark khaki brown egg and one lays a medium tan egg.
This year I am adding 2 Ameraucana to make sure I get blue eggs😉

Pretty!! Can I see a picture of them!! I really wanna know you pretty the look!!
Sure! The one with lighter feathers is the one I’m waiting to see what color her eggs are. The one with the barred rock is my pretty blue layer

Attachments

• DD07247D-03F1-4A2F-9EE2-E29DD20C2489.jpeg
    DD07247D-03F1-4A2F-9EE2-E29DD20C2489.jpeg
    533.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 4678CC6C-6513-4640-9DBE-C5CF77904656.jpeg
    4678CC6C-6513-4640-9DBE-C5CF77904656.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 2C9CED40-721B-4DBE-9DD3-13B0AA898AF2.jpeg
    2C9CED40-721B-4DBE-9DD3-13B0AA898AF2.jpeg
    668.3 KB · Views: 34
I have 2 EE hens and they both lay green eggs. They came from Ideal Poultry. I honestly had no clue but assumed that green was common and blue EE eggs were a lucky find. 😂
I assumed they laid mostly green because my neighbor said all the ones she’s ever owned have laid green. So crossing my fingers that George lays green eggs! (I thought she was a rooster and now she’s stuck with the name lol)

Back
Top Bottom