Hi, I am new to the forum :)

Thank you SO much for the link to the articles. I might find that chickens lure predators I haven't seen. I will worry about the fawns born here yearly if so. We have a doe that finds it safe on our land and has twins every year. I may need to put a cam where she beds down at night. We enjoy watching them. It is legal in my state to feed them. I have a mineral block out there and am going to set a place where they have water access. We get a small herd sometimes, but that one doe is here all the time. It may be the one who approached us, unafraid. My neighbors see coyotes and bears. The womsn across the street said that coyotes had a den nearby, but I knew foxes had one. I think I would hear them if they were. We have large foxes around here. There was a fire on a nearby mountain, so it would not surprise me to see coyotes and bears. I have never seen them or heard coyotes yipping. However, one day, I did see a canine leaving our property that could have been a coyote. I barely caught sight of it. It could have been a dog, but I am willing to do the same as you have, just to be safe. I will put cameras in there too. I figure the geese I will get might wake me if there is an intruder. We will probably have guineas too. They are hard to wrangle up for the night LOL. They liked our trees when we had them. And our roof LOL.

I may get a livestock guardian dog. The woman who runs a horse rescue across from me knows where I can get one that someone dumped off at a shelter that is a full guardian breed. She said many don't know that the dogs need a "job" and find that the dog is not what they expected and tgere are many dumped off. I will look into it. I will have to see how it all goes. I would need one that is young because of my son with autism. He is an adult and very animal friendly, but I am just wanting him to not be afraid of it and for it to love him.

I will probably put concrete all the way around my coop. I am thinking 4 to 6 inches deep and 12 to 18 inches out? Is that a good measurement? I will use rabbit wire instead of chicken wire. I hope it is like a fortress. I might use dibby wire on the inside for separations I need for trios and such. It is all in my mind, but all of you may have better ideas that I love. I know you all are more experienced than I am. I saw a man make a really nice wading pool with a drain for his ducks inside their enclosure. I am turning ideas over in my mind. Some may be bad ideas.

I will definitely use electric fencing. I will turn it off around the coop during the day while I am out there. I have been "bitten" one too many times by that type fencing LOL. I want it around the perimeter fence too. I watch coyotes in videos jump over high fences. I will DIY coyote rollers with PVC pipe and hope it isn't too unsightly. It is cheaper. The electric fence may be good enough. I hope that it can be because I will have to do this in stages because of the cost. I need things easier now that I am not a spring chicken anymore, ha. When I say, "I will..."...I mean that a handyman I hire will do the building 🤪

Thanks again for the articles link!
The coops my husband helped me build but I built the pens and the rest, me, myself and I did and I'm no spring chicken. I had my first flock around 50 years ago then went into the military for awhile and there couldn't have poultry but eventually got them again. What works well for one may not work as well for another. I have a lot of birds, currently around 400 so I probably do many things differently then someone with a backyard flock. My fences are 5' high as am I. It may not be too pretty but works. Again good luck...
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg
IMG_20181202_133518.jpg
20210115_095548.jpg
IMG_20200315_191806.jpg

I have hundreds of pictures, mostly videos. I take videos but have a program on my computer that converts the videos to images. I see a lot of predators on the cameras mostly at night when they roam here. One night a bobcat killed 14 birds. I did eliminate it but have seen others since. The predators know the electric wires are around the coops and pens and I think the adults teach their young that whatever is on the other side isn't worth getting zapped for.

Attachments

• IMAG0001 (15) 02.jpg
    IMAG0001 (15) 02.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0001 (15) 03.jpg
    IMAG0001 (15) 03.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0001 (13) 08.jpg
    IMAG0001 (13) 08.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 1
They give those sad eyes and make us melt 🥰 I had one cocker spaniel. She was a sweet dog. I think my favorite breed is boxers. My two little ones were unexpected. I wanted another boxer, but I ended up with chihuahuas. I adore them, though. I would foster dogs if I were set up for it. Maybe one day. I bet you enjoyed what you did. I see the people who show them behind the scenes and see how much they love it.
We have boxers. They do very well with our chickens and cats. I love their laid-back attitude. If only, they were good guardians..but they are couch potatoes. Lol.

The coops my husband helped me build but I built the pens and the rest, me, myself and I did and I'm no spring chicken. I had my first flock around 50 years ago then went into the military for awhile and there couldn't have poultry but eventually got them again. What works well for one may not work as well for another. I have a lot of birds, currently around 400 so I probably do many things differently then someone with a backyard flock. My fences are 5' high as am I. It may not be too pretty but works. Again good

I changed it to Bella when I adopted her.
Her registered name is...
Thou Shalt Not Kill Sweet Betty di Altobello.
I thought that was a bit of a mouthful.
Haha, that is so funny 😆. It is definitely a mouthful...great registered name.

We have boxers. They do very well with our chickens and cats. I love their laid-back attitude. If only, they were good guardians..but they are couch potatoes. Lol.
I had a female who was not aggressive, but she wanted no one near me. She did that boxer tap around my son if we were together. Yet she adored him. She strongly bonded with me. Her son was territorial, though...but a big baby for us. His dad was just a gentle giant. I miss our boxers so much. I might get a puppy one day and raise it around the other animals. I may have to get two. My husband wants one of his own LOL.

The coops my husband helped me build but I built the pens and the rest, me, myself and I did and I'm no spring chicken. I had my first flock around 50 years ago then went into the military for awhile and there couldn't have poultry but eventually got them again. What works well for one may not work as well for another. I have a lot of birds, currently around 400 so I probably do many things differently then someone with a backyard flock. My fences are 5' high as am I. It may not be too pretty but works. Again good luck...
View attachment 2866576View attachment 2866577View attachment 2866578View attachment 2866579
View attachment 2866576View attachment 2866577View attachment 2866578View attachment 2866579
Wow! Impressive! You have a bigger place than I had planned. I haven't decided on size yet. That is what I am trying to figure out. I need more brush cleared and small trees. I cringe at the removing the trees LOL. Once it is done, I can figure the size.

I watched your coyote videos too. It comforts me to know the electric fencing works! They smell it, too. I had forgotten about bobcats. I haven't seen them or heard of neighbors seeing them. My sister in Georgia has them off and on. They are in South Carolina, though. I think the ones who have bobcats around them are further out in the country. Again, it would not surprise me if they come around with the nearby mountain fire a few years ago. I am pretty rural, though. It is just that more people moved in around us. I had a lot going on with family in between the time I had a flock before and wouldn't get any unless I had a well-built coop. We are ready to start a flock as soon as we have safe coops. I will then have to figure out when to order from hatcheries at a time they have chicks, ducklings and goslings. They seem to be out of them early.

Thank you for your service! 🇺🇲

I had a female who was not aggressive, but she wanted no one near me. She did that boxer tap around my son if we were together. Yet she adored him. She strongly bonded with me. Her son was territorial, though...but a big baby for us. His dad was just a gentle giant. I miss our boxers so much. I might get a puppy one day and raise it around the other animals. I may have to get two. My husband wants one of his own LOL.
This is Brewster, our youngest. He adopted me, when he arrived. He loves my hubby just as much, but if I'm outside, he is underfoot.
20210816_070236.jpg

Wow! Impressive! You have a bigger place than I had planned. I haven't decided on size yet. That is what I am trying to figure out. I need more brush cleared and small trees. I cringe at the removing the trees LOL. Once it is done, I can figure the size.

I watched your coyote videos too. It comforts me to know the electric fencing works! They smell it, too. I had forgotten about bobcats. I haven't seen them or heard of neighbors seeing them. My sister in Georgia has them off and on. They are in South Carolina, though. I think the ones who have bobcats around them are further out in the country. Again, it would not surprise me if they come around with the nearby mountain fire a few years ago. I am pretty rural, though. It is just that more people moved in around us. I had a lot going on with family in between the time I had a flock before and wouldn't get any unless I had a well-built coop. We are ready to start a flock as soon as we have safe coops. I will then have to figure out when to order from hatcheries at a time they have chicks, ducklings and goslings. They seem to be out of them early.

Thank you for your service! 🇺🇲
It took many years. We started with one coop and as the years went by built the others. I now breed pure (heritage) birds which I have been doing for a lot of years.

It took many years. We started with one coop and as the years went by built the others. I now breed pure (heritage) birds which I have been doing for a lot of years.
I considered breeding trios, male/female/female, of the smaller breeds and breed the larger ones to continue having layers. I see the rare ones in the McMurray Hatchery catalog. They make it hard to get what you need/want without getting what you don't need/want. To try and get the color peackock/peahen I want, I have to get a mix that is their choice for a large price. My husband said he saw some near us. I might can find someone who breeds the types I am looking for near me instead. I would like to buy from the same person if they have good stock and are affordable. I want to start off with pullets just to get a start. That might be something my neighbor knows too. She seems to know all kinds of people to get animals from and is big into rescuing them. That would be something I would like. Maybe she breeds chickens or is willing to part with fertile eggs. So many people get animals and realize it is not for them...chickens included. I might find some needing rescued that are healthy and friendly. I just need to be careful where they come from, I am sure. I might add to my original coop plans as time goes by. I am taking things one step at a time to make sure I do it right this time. I looked into a timed door for them. I would only use it in the mornings to let them out of the coop and into the enclosed run. It was very affordable. It is just a thought. I might think of all the cons as I prepare for the chickens, ha.

Back
Top Bottom