Hi I am new

Shannon33

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Eastern Shore, VA
To the forums and chickens
smile.png
Well here is how it started. Last month I was driving down the highway and in the middle of nowhere I saw a chicken standing there at the side of the road. It was very cold out and there was literally nothing around, so I was concerned and turned around and got out to see what was up. She was just standing there and I noticed her leg was bloody and there was some blood in the snow. She wasn't scared in fact when I approached her she put her little wings up like she was saying "pick me up!" Now I knew nothing about chickens but I am an animal lover so I wrapped her in a blanket and took her home.
Since Perdue is on that same highway my husband said she most likely fell out of one of those trucks which would account for her injury. Now I know NOTHING about chickens so I did some research online what to do for an injured chicken and it said to keep her warm give her water and put neosporin on her injury. Well, when we took her out of the blanket to have a better look her injury was VERY bad:( My husband said it would be kinder to put her out of her misery but I felt just awful and told him to let me think about it for a little bit. I put her in my cat carrier with some water and blankets and sat with her and petted her and she was just so sweet it was just breaking my heart. I went out to do some chores and when I came back she had passed away. I feel silly but I cried and cried!
Well I was so upset my husband suggested to do some research to see if it was something I would be interested in and if so we could get some. So fast forward and here we are!
I just put my order in tonight for 8 chicks. I only want about 4 females but I had to order mixed sex so am hoping it's a 50/50 thing. I think they are coming next week. I am so excited and glad to find a forum that seems so helpful!

Shannon,
hugs.gif
you share a name, and a heart for animals with my daughter.

Please do not feel any guilt over that chicken you tried to save. Most likely it was a cornish x or some other hybrid meat bird, and their poor little hearts are so weak she probably couldn't take the shock and blood loss. I'm sure there was nothing you could have done for her and you made her last hours so much nicer than they would have been there on the side of the road. However, if you are like MY Shannon, you'll hold it in your heart for a while no matter what.
welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the world of Chicken Love!
love.gif
There isn't much better than having little birds snuggle you for warmth.

Good luck with your chickies, what breed did you choose?

Laney

welcome-byc.gif
from Indiana! That's so sad!
hit.gif
But.. You did an awesome job! You should be so proud of yourself knowing that you made that poor chickens little bit of time left comfortable, safe, and feeling loved.
hugs.gif
I think I can speak for all of us here at BYC when I say we're proud of you, and so glad you joined us!

Hi!
frow.gif
another newbie here!
smile.png
From Florida...and welcome to chicken love...I had one rooster once and after he was killed its taken me almost 10 YRS to get into having one again...ordered 5 for March 8th now so just waiting and preparing for our babies! GL

Thank you all for the very warm welcomes
smile.png
I decided on Silkies. They are really just going to be pets so I wanted something with a sweet nature and I read good things about them in that regard. Plus I think they are really cute! I ordered a bunch of different colors, am hoping I get a good variety of females *crosses fingers* On a side note, I am sure I need to find a home for some roosters in a few months
hmm.png
Craigslist makes me a bit nervous as I wouldn't want them used for bad things! Are you allowed to ship grown birds in the mail, as in if I found a home for them on these forums I could mail them to someone? I live on the Eastern Shore, VA if anyone would be in interested in some male silkies in a few months or whenever I can sex them. Of course I could get very lucky and get all females (yeah right
big_smile.png
) I don't want money for them, just a good home, and shipping expenses if needed.

Back
Top Bottom