Hi I an a new member!

karenearls

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 21, 2014
Hello everyone!

My name is Karen and I live in SW Ohio. I have 12 laying hens, 9 Golden Comets and 3 Americanna hens. Also there are some bantams...they are how I got started. I wanted a puppy because our 17 yr. old pit bull was going downhill fast. My husband brought me Old English Silver Duckwing Game Birds...5 of them. I lost one the 1st week but the others lived in the basement for almost a year...they got carried out every morning into a covered dog kennel. They are still spoiled even tho they have a barn now. So in total currently there are 6 old English Game Birds and 8 Millie Fleur Bearded & Booted D'Unccle Bantams..."Millies). All my birds have names, a few even know them, they will ride as long as you carry will carry them ( one of the Millie roos wants to be a parrot when he grows up), and Hershey will give kisses.

Any way, I have a horrible habit of picking up feathers, lots and lots of feathers......anyone want some? They are all pretty clean, dropped feathers but not sorted in any way. 6 of the Millies are roos and 2 of the Duckwings. I'd just want you to cover the cost of postage/packaging. The feathers are in gallon freezer bags but not stuffed full.

I'd appreciate any feedback or advice anyone could give. Thank you!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

LOL..I am a feather collector too. Not so much chickens, but I have enough Crow and Raven feathers to put together an entire flock of Corvids. Ha!

It is fun to spoil your babies. I do it too. They love it so much and appreciate all the love.

Enjoy your lovely flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a nice, mixed flock. Golden Comet is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. I've raised Red Sex Links (including those sold under the Golden Comet label) for years and they have been, along with my Black Sex Links, my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. You will get loads of eggs from those 9 ladies. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom