hi I have been given a albino mallard how rare is he.

So by albino, you mean albino and not white right? Just wondering because I could have sworn I saw someone selling tons of white Mallard hatching eggs on Ebay. Is just a white Mallard common...it is right? lol

Nevermind...Google told me I was correct!
thumbsup.gif

The pink/red eyes only is actually a common misconception. Many albino animals and people can have blue eyes.
This is not true. Many people call any white animal with pale eyes an albino. But in fact a 'true' albino lacks all pigment in the body - including the eyes - thats why the eyes seem red as we can see the blood in them.

Animals can also have red eyes, but coloured body feathers, and fur, but these are not albino either. They can also be partially albino, lacking pigment in some areas of the body, but have colour in other areas - but for a 100 per cent albino there has to be no pigment whatsoever.

can anyone tell me where i would be able to find White Mallards, or their fertile eggs, preferably in Canada ? USA contacts also appreciated !!

My duck is albino with pink eye. He is in with two ducks so I am hoping for some ducklings in the spring.

The pink/red eyes only is actually a common misconception. Many albino animals and people can have blue eyes.
No this is not true. Real albino is a totally lack of pigmentation in the body. That means a true 100 per cent albino will have NO colour in the body - including the eyes. They will have white feathers, pink skin and red eyes.

Can the OP post a photo of the duck? Then we could see if its a real albino or just a white bird.

From what I can find, albino ducks and chickens are very rare indeed. I have see photos of 'albino chickens', but they are not real albinos as they have yellow legs. I true one would have pink legs, red eyes and white feathers.

I have an interest in albino animals, and have a lot of pet ones, including mice, rats, ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and doves.

Back
Top Bottom