Hi, I hope I can get a lot of good advice

Chickinoodle

Hatching
Aug 9, 2016
I have a rooster and 5 hens and don't want any chicks. My family thinks we should kill it and eat him, but personally I think we should sell him to a chicken farm.

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. While your rooster will breed your hens - resulting in fertilized eggs that have the porential to hatch, to do so a broody hen would need to set on them for many, many days. Collect the eggs daily and you won't have any baby chicks running around. And don't worry about eating fertilized eggs - they look and taste the same as unfertilized. You can gain some fast knowledge about all things chickens at the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. Good luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

IMO best to rehome the rooster, one with only 5 hens is not a good thing for those ladies.

But, I would be surprised if anyone buys him, there are so many unwanted roosters around.

Good luck with your decisions and your new adventure.

:welcome   glad you have joined us.

IMO best to rehome the rooster, one with only 5 hens is not a good thing for those ladies.  

But, I would be surprised if anyone buys him, there are so many unwanted roosters around.

Good luck with your decisions and your new adventure.

Collect the eggs on a daily basis and you won't have any chicks to worry about. Roosters, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen. As long as your guy is not aggressive toward humans you should keep him. If you don't want to kill him you can give him away.

Good luck and enjoy your chickens!

He is not agressive at all towards humans. He actually doesn't really mind being picked up. My family and I are looking for a farm for him. Thank you for all of the great advice. This is my first time having chickens!

Back
Top Bottom